Ten: Calysta

CALYSTA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sky was dark and cloudy. Thunder clapped in the distance, making the air sting with electricity. Had the sky been clear, millions of tiny stars would be seen holding the moon in a silky scenery of black and deep blues through the windows. Rain began to fall in sprinkles when Calysta was woken up, Stupefied, and removed from her room at her brother's home. Calysta was released from the spell, and now stood in the middle of the study room of her own house, the wood floors cold under her bare feet.

"Calysta, please don't do anything rash," A distance away, Leena Daelynn looked pleadingly at her daughter, and reached out to wrap her fingers around her wrist. She had been hiding in the house the whole time while the Aurors searched it. Merlin knows how she accomplished this feat, but that wasn't on Calysta's mind right now. Mrs. Daelynn was draped in the cloaks identical to the ones covering the other people in the room.

"That's rich, coming from you. You allowed him to get to you, making you lose everything you worked for and ruining your relationship with your family." She replied through clenched teeth and jerked her wrist out of her mother's grasp. She felt only a little guilty for doing so. The hooded figures stirred, but stayed silent. Aware of the Death Eaters around her, Calysta stood straighter, hiding the fear that flowed through her veins. The doors to the study swished open with a gust of air. Calysta held her head level as the others lowered their own and looked away from the entering figure.

"Leena Daelynn," The Dark Lord himself made a strong presence. Fear mostly, to mingle with her own. Calysta's mother snapped to attention, waiting for instruction. "You may leave with the others. I wish to speak with your daughter alone." He hissed, hinting for everyone to leave. Calysta held her breath as the Death Eaters turned to smoke and zoomed through the air and finally disappeared through the ceiling. Calysta lowered her eyes back to the Dark Lord as he stood in front of her, wand held in both hands.

"Calysta," He said her name with an amused tone. She inwardly winced. The bald wizard was also barefooted, walking in agonizingly slow circles around her. The books lining the shelves in the study blended with each other in the dim lighting of the hanging lamp above Calysta. "There are a number of great feats that follow your name, little one. Do you know of them?" He asked, coming to a stop.

"No," Calysta replied simply, trying to steady her voice that was on the point of breaking. Voldemort chuckled lowly and faced her fully.

"Animagus at the age of thirteen. Possibly the youngest ever heard of." Fourteen, actually... But it sounded like a compliment. "Quick with a spell and handy with potion brewing. Few young wizards have peaked my interest in previous encounters. Similar to me in my years as a Hogwarts student."

"Is that so?" Calysta asked, swallowing dryly. The wizard smiled, sharp teeth glistening in the light. It wasn't a smile one would want to be greeted with.

"Certainly. Are you proud of your house, Calysta? A fine, pure blooded wizard in the house of brave Gryffindor?" He inquired, his eyes boring into hers. Calysta remained quiet, figuring the right words to say.

"I believe it suits me well." She said. Voldemort did nothing, only stared harder.

"Even though you do not share the same house as most of the wizards here, you still have great potential if you were to play the right side," His right hand closed over his wand. Calysta waited anxiously for him to continue; this kind of silence set Calysta on edge. "I requested a spot for you in my ranks. As you probably know, my army grows stronger. Admittedly, you, Calysta, would make a fine addition." His voice left the words hanging in the air.

"You wish for me to become a Death Eater?" Calysta questioned. She already knew the answer. The Dark Lord inched closer, his hands moving in front of him.

"You are correct."

"Well, sir." Calysta took a silent breath. "I don't think I am ready to join your followers in your...great ambition." She was breathless, stiffly preparing for whatever would come. Voldemort froze and his wand raised slightly.

"Not ready," He repeated to himself, tapping the tips of his index fingers together. "Why not?"

"I still have much to learn at Hogwarts. I don't think I would be fully prepared for the style of living being a Death Eater brings."

"You are perfectly capable of learning even with my Mark upon your arm." He countered calmly. Calysta knew it was a sign of not wanting to be argued with; his decision was the only decision.

"Your other followers are much more experienced than I. Surely you would want someone to have fully gained the skills to be a proper wizard. My level of power definitely couldn't compare to the ones of your followers." Calysta replied smoothly, surprised by her words. The Dark Lord stared at her curiously. He was eerily silent and still, perhaps deciding on what to do with her.

"You are very brave to count against me, Calysta Daelynn. Perhaps a deal could be struck if you agree to join my following in later years." He started. Calysta's eyes flicked upwards, meeting the Dark Lord's; an intense chill instantly ran down her spine.

"You have my full attention,"

"Of course I do, little one. If I hadn't you wouldn't be shaking to the bone on the inside." Voldemort's words hinted sarcasm. "A fool would be brave when standing in my presence. But a genius would go against my wishes and deny the Mark. Somehow, you are both." Those words buried themselves in Calysta's mind. The girl had no idea what they meant, but she would never forget them, not as long as she heard the Dark Lord's name or saw his face behind her closed eyes.

"Once I am out of school, I shall have full knowledge...and I will come willingly." The words escaped her mouth quickly, making Calysta's heart race and her mind fall into a swirl of nonsense. Voldemort looked pleased.

"Oh, you will come. Willingly? That's not always necessary. But with you, little Gryffindor, you won't have the choice to not agree, for you'd have used up your second chance. You won't get another. You will die, or you will join me. We have an understanding. Heed my warning: things are how I wish them to be. If someone defies me, their life will end in the sourest of ways."

~~~~~

"Their life will end in the sourest of ways." Those words echoed through Calysta's mind, finding their way past the swarm of other things on her mind to her nerves. Her body tingled as she mentally repeated them in her bed back at Biron's. Next door, Biron and Ardedia slept soundly, not knowing the conversation; the words spoken to each other between Voldemort and Calysta. No one knew the sinking feeling that you could die at any moment, and it all mattered what a person thought about the words you said.

"Willingly? That's not always necessary." The horror behind the words made Calysta think of anyone who'd defied the Dark Lord before. The poor souls were probably dead now, or forced to become something worse.

To take her mind off it, Calysta thought of the good things and people she loved. Biron overcoming his condition, finding a family even when he expected it least. Her Marauder boys: Sirius with his valiant disapproval of his parents' ideals and adoration for his friends and girlfriend. James' love for the Muggle-born, red-headed Lily. Remus having confidence in himself when he was put down by his same condition Calysta's brother and he both suffered. Peter, being a supportive person to them all. And Lily, simply being the best she could be with the kindest heart Calysta'd ever met.

Calysta had friends where she needed them, and they stuck with her no matter how hard it got. They've been through a lot together in that short sixth year. With increasing anxiety, Calysta knew it wasn't over yet.