Thirty: Peter

PETER

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"A run-down warehouse, are you serious?" Calysta's expression was slightly disgusted. She kicked at a pop bottle on the curb. Five others walked in her company.

"There are glamours put on it. Muggles can't see it." James explained over his shoulder at her. Sirius looked amused by Calysta's words. Her hands squeezed tighter around his arm and she huddled closer to her boyfriend. Peter couldn't explain why he felt bitter all of a sudden. He told himself to get over any feelings he had for her; he knew he didn't stand a chance. She was his friend above all else.

"And in the middle of London? Was this Dumbledore's idea?" She sighed exasperatedly. James snickered. A thick metal chain clanked on the collapsing fence as James pushed it open.

"It's not the middle of London, Peregrine." Remus countered. Calysta groaned in her throat and followed Lily and James into the building. The smell of old paper and mildew surrounded Peter and he scrunched up his nose.

"No one's even in here." Calysta's voice echoed off the hallow walls.

"The basement," Peter filled in. Calysta's lips formed a flat line and she proceeded on. Her eyes darted towards a soft scratching sound. She'd been acting a bit skittish as of late. Peter came in the morning after Calysta was attacked, as James predicted, having not had his ring on. His friends filled him in. A hurt feeling took over his stomach when he heard Calysta had woken up screaming from nightmares. For weeks after the incident, she'd been jumping around houses to keep safe. A month had passed before they decided-- Calysta decided-- it was safe to bring her to a meeting of the Order.

They climbed down stone stairs in the dark, nothing but their wands to light the way. At the bottom, a short hallway lead to a brick wall that had been painted a medium shade of blue. A faded symbol of a phoenix in flight could be seen at certain angles.

"It's like the portal at King's Cross. Just walk through it." James explained, his hand disappearing through the seemingly solid wall, then retracting to his side. Calysta nodded and went in with Sirius first. Peter followed. Then James, Lily, and Remus.

"And yes," James started when they stood together in the middle of a grand room, "it was Dumbledore's idea."

~~~~~

Peter looked in a small, round mirror that hung on the wall. His eyes looked tired. A scrape crossed his knuckles where he had punched a wall a few nights before. He couldn't remember what he had been angry about.

"You alright?" Calysta appeared in the reflection behind him, and he jumped.

"Yes!" He cleared his throat and laughed nervously. "Yes, I'm fine." Calysta smiled, not seeming to notice his jump. She was holding a drink out towards him. Peter took it.

"I'm sorry you had to experience what you did that night." Peter quietly brought up the subject. Calysta's eyes floated down to her drink and she swirled it, knowing exactly what he meant.

"I'm fine now," She absently tapped her forearm where Death Eaters usually would to call the Dark Lord. But only a scar would remain there now. After a moment, she spoke again. "I've thought the same thing, you know..."

"About what?" Peter asked. Calysta tucked away a piece of hair from her face.

"That maybe the scar would have the same effect? Like it could be a new kind of Dark Mark? I've put the possibility to rest." She looked around at the group of wizards they joined. 

Calysta was overjoyed that Dumbledore had gotten so many people recruited in the short month after they graduated. Remus and James were having a conversation with the respected Auror officer, Kingsley Shaklebolt. Lily was catching up with friends and showing off her ring. Calysta was even happier to see her friend and ex-girlfriend of Sirius: Marlene McKinnon. Peter had to laugh at Sirius' expression as the girls had a normal time together. Sirius wondered what Marlene would think about him being with her dormmate during their time at school before he and Calysta even got together.

"The thought may have crossed my mind." Peter admitted. Calysta closed her eyes a few seconds, then opened them again. The rich color made like a forest in the summer.

"It throbs sometimes. Like...a burst of energy shoots through it and I just lose my breath for a moment. It happened just this morning." Her voice quieted. Peter stole a peek at her arm.

He blinked a few times to clear his head. "Have you told anyone about it?" Peter asked. He was just as quiet as Calysta had been.

"No. No one. I wasn't sure how to explain it." She shook her head. Peter opened his mouth to say something, but Sirius' reappearance made him clamp his jaw shut.

"What are we all talkin' about over here?" Sirius threw an arm lazily around Calysta's shoulders.

"Just filling him in on the attack," Calysta answered easily, much to Peter's gratefulness. He'd never been very good at impromptu lying. Sirius looked between them quickly, then a gently smile made it's way across his features, creating that usual attractiveness that always made him stand out.

"Well, the past is behind us." He said softly, swishing his hair from his face.

"Do you need a hair cut?" Calysta laughed, twisting a chunk of the raven hair between her slender fingers. Peter let out a chuckle at Sirius' snarl.

"I think he does," Peter threw a taunt his way. Sirius rolled his eyes.

"Oi, Calysta!" A voice rang out above the crowd, capturing everyone's attention. James searched for her in the crowd, and smiled widely when he caught her eye. "We owe you a congratulations,"

"For what?" Calysta mused, cocking her head to the side.

"For creating the most kick-ass group in wizarding history!" He and a few others chorused. Calysta blushed a light pink and held up her glass.

"It was nothing," She laughed. Dumbledore was milling about the crowd, having finally ventured over to the three ex-students.

"You're being modest, my dear." He complimented. Calysta smiled, her eyes crinkling as they usually did. Peter raised his own glass.

"To Calysta and Dumbledore," He stated loudly. Calysta gasped slightly and faced him, her smile making him feel warm. Dumbledore's laugh was quiet and calm. He raised the glass to his lips and took a long swing from it.

"To the Order of the Phoenix!" A cheer sounded. Many joined the voice in joyful agreement. Calysta leaned her head on Sirius' shoulder and her other hand rested on Peter's.

"To the Order of the Phoenix," Calysta replied softly. Peter repeated her words.

"We've welcomed one of our founders back to us! Daelynn escaped Death Eaters with only so much as a scar!" One member said to a friend next to her.

"How about a picture?" A woman's voice sang. A wave of murmurs floated around the room. Shuffling of many feet join together. James and Lily were in front; the rest gathered behind them. Dumbledore and Calysta stood next to each other, founders true and proud. Sirius, of course was next to her, holding her close. Peter stood behind James and Lily, just noticeable in the group.

"On three!" Peter remembered the camera man from Ravenclaw, a year or two older than them. "One. Two. Three!" A bright white flash, and a photo hummed as it came from the camera. Peter was the first to take a look when it came out.

Everyone was in it. Some smiling, some not. The small figures looked around at each other; waving at the camera and moving about. The walls in the back with dark curtains brought out the colors of the members. Everyone had happy faces, but deep down they all knew the risk of rallying against the rising darkness.