Chapter 22

As Mr. Whitman slammed down the phone, he ordered his men to unlock the handcuffs and take me to the back of the house. I tried to fight them, but they were all to strong. They began carrying me out to the backyard past the pool. One of them yelled to hit the lights and just then the whole backside of the house lit up. It looked like a maze was set up in the back. As they sat me on the ground, I sat there crying. Mr. Whitman walked over and grabbed my face. ̈ ̈Crying?!̈ he snarled ̈There's no crying Jade-remember the rules!¨then while squeezing his fingers into my face, he tilted my head up towards him. His eyes looked into mine, he told me the game starts now. I didn't understand what he meant until he walked behind me. I heard a gunshot, then I felt a bullet that just grazed my arm. I looked down to see blood dripping from the hole in my sleeve. I frantically turned to see him with the gun aimed at my head. ̈ ̈Run!̈ ̈  He shouted as he started to shoot again. I jumped to my feet and began to run through the maze. It was made of wood and it had long halls that led into different directions. When I got to the end, there was an open field that had targets. I saw a man step out in what almost looked like paint gun attire, but as he raised his rifle towards me I knew it was real. The man shot a giant hole just above my head. I crawled behind a shield off to the side. I tore off my shoes to make it easier to run. I was breathing so heavily. I was so scared. I knew they were going to kill me! I heard footsteps approaching me so I quickly ran towards the hall off to my left. This one was dark and I couldn't tell which way to go. I began feeling the walls looking for an open spot to exit. Finally, I saw a light up ahead. I peaked out. There were three men, all with rifles standing there talking. One was pointing towards the hallway across from where I was as another headed towards the otherside. I realized they were coming for me. I ran back in hoping to find another exit. 

I was covered in sweat as I ran through the maze. My arm kept bleeding so I knew they were just toying with me because they could just follow the trail of blood. That is when it dawned on me that this is another sick game that they need to drag out. If I keep running then they get what they want for their client and I still die in the end. I knew I was not walking out of here. I headed back towards where I saw the three men and began to exit. I put my hands in the air as I walked out. To my surprise, they weren't there anymore. I began to shout in anger! ̈ ̈Come get me you assholes!̈ ̈ Now I started to taunt them again. All of a sudden, I heard several rounds of gunfire. ̈ ̈Craig is here¨ I thought to myself. I coward down behind one of the stands. I knew if I stayed alive until he reached me I would get out of this. I sat on the ground praying he would find me. 

I was starting to shake in fear. I didn't know what to do or where to go to hide. I couldn't stay here, but I didn't want to go back into the maze. I heard more gunfire. Then a loud siren went off. It sounded like a fire alarm, but I wasn't sure what it was to be honest. I couldn't see outside of the maze as it was closed in. I started worrying that maybe they set the maze on fire to burn us inside of it. I covered my face in fear. I cried so hard. I was emotionally drained. I could hear more gunfire, this time it was closer than before. I decided to pull it together. I wiped my face and began to look around. Someone was coming. I tucked my feet back so they couldn't see me. I could hear them walking towards me. I grabbed my mouth in an attempt to muffle my own cries. I was so scared. My heart was pounding and I felt like I might pass out. I quietly pulled my legs back further in towards my chest. Now the man was standing just on the other side of the stand. I didn't know if I should make a run back into the hallway. I don't know if he would be quicker than me. I could hear his feet moving again. I couldn't just sit here and let him kill me. I had to try and make it to the hall again. Just as I jumped up to run out came another man. I was frozen in fear when a gunshot range out. I saw the man in front of me fall to the ground. My ears were ringing. I turned to see Craig standing behind the stand. He ran towards me and pushed me into the hall. He pressed my body back against the wall while covering my mouth. Then he put his finger over his lips telling me to be quiet. He went down the hall and came back. ¨How many of them are there Jade?¨ He was so calm. I tried to think. I was shaking and confused. I told him I think ten or so. ¨Ok, so there can only be two more-I need you to stay with me ok Jade?¨ He asked in a way that he was trying to calm me down. 

Craig grabbed my hand and placed it on his lower back while he began to lead us down the hallway. We were almost out when he pushed me down and began shooting. I kneeled down covering my head when I felt him tap me. ¨You can get up Jade, they are both dead ̈ As I turned to look at Craig they were both lying on the ground. He could tell I was falling apart. He pulled me in and gave me a kiss. He was trying to keep me calm. He told me that we were almost out of there. They set fire to the house and it won't be long before the police are all over the place. He told me we have to get out of there now. I agreed and began to follow him. Once we got to the last exit, I could see the house was engulfed in flames. The whole mansion was burning. The black smoke was billowing out from the roof. As Craig urged me to get out of there we heard someone start shooting. ̈Run Jade, run!̈ Craig yelled while pulling me with him. We ran towards the front of the house. Seth was at the end of the road way waiting for us. As we made our way down the long driveway, more gunfire rang out. We ran as fast as we could. Craig flung open the door to the back seat as he began to push me in. Once Craig was inside, Seth took off. 

We sat there so out of breath. Craig looked around to see if anyone was following us. He then turned back towards me and grabbed my face and started kissing me. ̈ ̈ Don't ever scare me like that again Jade ̈ he said as his voice began to crack. Just hearing the emotion in his voice made me break down. He just kept kissing me telling me it was ok. I cried some more. I couldn't talk. I was in shock, but I also felt terrible for everything Craig just went through to get me back. As we pulled into the driveway I felt sick again. I hated myself for everything that just happened. Craig started to get out and he asked me if I was ok. I nodded yes as I took his hand to get out of the car. I felt weak and really tired. As I stood up, I heard Craig cry out. ̈No, please god no!¨ He fell to his knees. Confused I looked down and that is when I noticed my clothes were soaked. Dazed, I look back into the car and I saw all the blood. Then I look back down and touched my stomach. When I put my palms out in front of me they were drenched in blood. I realized I had been shot. I fell to the ground. Craig now pulling himself together. He kept telling me to hold on. Seth was on the phone calling me an ambulance. I looked up at Craig, ̈I am so cold ̈ I whispered to him. He laid down next to me. He wrapped his body over mine. ¨I know baby, I know, but it will be ok¨ he said as he started gently kissing me. I knew by the way he was acting that I was dying. I started to cry. ¨I don't want to leave you Craig.¨ I mumbled. He kissed me and whispered in my ear, ̈you will never leave me Jade, I love you and nothing can ever change that.¨ He gave me one last kiss as I took my last breath. When the ambulance came they knew it was too late. They allowed him to stay with my body until the corner arrived.He slipped off my wedding rings and put them in his pocket. He kissed me a few more times before they told him they had to take me. About the same time they were loading me into the van, Sammie came out. She was an emotional wreck. Seth had already made arrangements to move her to another location until Craig could get himself together. Sammie wanted to take the baby with her, but Craig wouldn't allow it. He thanked her, but he wanted to keep his daughter with him he told her. Sammie begged him to just let her take the baby for just one night and he finally gave in. He was in no shape to care for her. 

After everyone was gone and Seth took care of the cops, Craig headed upstairs. His hands now stained in my blood along with his clothing. As he went to shower the blood filled the floor of the tub. Mr. Whitman had finally won. He finally broke him. Craig sat slumped in the shower when Seth came in to turn the water off. ̈ ̈Get up Craig ̈ he barked. He repeated himself. Craig then looked up at him and asked for what? He had nothing to live for, so why should he leave the shower? Why should he even go on living for that matter?

Seth looked at Craig and he replied, ̈We have a job to finish sir, now get up ̈!