Chapter 15

As I arrived at work the next morning I gave Craig a peck on the cheek and jumped out of the car. Oh boy I was running late and I am sure Dr. Shapiro is going crazy right now. I can just see her discharging half of the patients because they were rude to her. I chuckled at the thought as I ran up to the entryway. 

̈ ̈Jade...Jade, you forgot your breakfast ̈

I turned to see Craig coming up behind me. 

̈Where is my brain this morning ̈ I joked

He gave me another kiss and I headed in. Oddly enough, it was rather quiet and Dr. Shapiro was sitting in her office doing some paperwork. I knocked on the door before going in. Her office was rather small. It had an old wooden desk that sat in the middle of the room. On the walls, she had her diplomas which were a bit off centered. Her desk was covered with test results, old message notes and charts that are stacked on top of eachother. I saw that she wasn't that busy so I thanked her for her concern yesterday.

¨I think it was just a bug because I am feeling a lot better now ̈ I said as my eyes wandered around her office. 

̈Who is that ̈ I asked while pointing to a picture of a young blonde woman with her?

̈ ̈That's my daughter ̈ 

I could tell she was uncomfortable talking about it so I left it alone. I changed the subject to how quiet it was this morning. She then told me she left the phones on service. 

̈ ̈Oh boy, we better get them off before everyone goes nuts”I said jokingly. 

Just then Dr. Shapiro gestured for me to take a seat because she had something she wanted to discuss. I moved the stack of dirty lab coats to the opposite arm on the chair to make some room. 

̈ ̈What is it¨ I asked.

She told me she wanted to hire someone to help out with the front. She knew I was planning a wedding and Craig and I would be going on our honeymoon in no time. I sat there dreading the idea of a new person in the office. I am not sure why because I know she will need all the help she can get while I am gone. I began to perspire. 

̈ ̈Don ́t worry Jade, they will never take your place ̈

I felt a bit relieved when she said that to me.

̈ ̈Actually, I would like to hire your sister ̈

̈ ̈My sister ̈, I thought. 

̈Wow, that would be great to have her here with me ̈ I said excitedly.

¨Ok, give her a call and let me know if she wants the position ̈

I agreed and hopped up out of my seat and headed towards the front just as Dr. Shapiro called out to me. 

̈ ̈Jade, I hope you know you are like family to me and I would do anything for you ̈

¨I know how much your sister means to you, so I want to help her as much as possible ̈

I truly was surprised, as I was not expecting any of this to happen. I thanked her profusely and ran to tell Sammie the good news. I started to eat my cereal while I was talking to her. Samantha couldn ́t wait to start. I took a swig of my orange juice and told her to come in tomorrow. Just as we were hanging up I felt so nauseous. ̈ ̈Oh no ̈, I shouted while holding my mouth and running towards the bathroom. I had started vomiting violently and didn't have time to close the door behind me. 

̈ ̈Morning sickness ̈

I wiped my mouth and turned to see Dr. Shapiro standing there.