Chapter 19

With Victoria only ten days old, Craig and I are starting to get cabin fever. We haven't been out in weeks because the flu season this year has been horrible. I heard the kids at the end of the block were actual hospitalized due to the illness so we are not taking any chances! Tonight we are just going to stream some movies in our theater room. Craig went all out designing the space. It has several large reclining theater seats with a huge screen. The room had this gold and black carpet with large speakers on the walls. He had a mini concession stand installed that he keeps fully stocked with just about every known candy available. It also has a full bar along with a popcorn machine. I have to say it is pretty awesome having all this right under our roof. 

After putting our daughter to bed we headed in to watch our movie. Craig has some type of connection that provides us with every new movie that has just been released. He also hired and trained several house staff that know how to run the projector. Now we don't have to worry about being disturbed if the movie malfunctions. As we walk into the room, Greta is already starting up the popcorn machine. The buttery aroma filled the air. It smelled delicious!  

̈ ̈Hello Mr. and Mrs. Whitman, what can I get you?¨ she politely asked us. The popcorn kernels were still popping away.  

¨I´ll take some snowcaps and can I just have a small popcorn please.¨ I began looking around at what I would like to drink. I couldn't have any alcohol since I was nursing Victoria and I forgot to pump today. ̈Can I also have a soda, I don't really care which one you pick.¨ I added while taking the popcorn bucket from her. It almost looked just like the ones you get down at the local cinema. Craig then ordered a beer. He told Greta we were going to sit down, just to bring everything over to us. As we walked over to our seats the lights started to lower. ̈Wow, they are really on it tonight.¨ I said jokingly as I was kind of impressed how professional they were being. We had a few instances of staff cursing or just chatting on their phones. Craig runs a pretty tight ship so that is definitely not allowed. 

We slid back into our seats. I pressed the button to extend my foot rest just as Greta approached with our drinks. ̈ ̈Jade, is that your cellphone?̈ Craig asked. He sounded really annoyed at the fact I brought it with me. ¨I promise I won't use it at all.¨ I quickly added trying to diffuse the situation. Craig reached over to take my phone. ¨I will hold it for you.¨ he said while turning it off. I knew he was right. I pay way too much attention to my phone. This was our night so I wasn't about to have a silly argument with him. As the movie started, Craig leaned over and spilled into my seat. His arm over my legs, as he rested his head on my shoulder. I was wearing a cute little dress I ordered weeks ago. I pulled it down some to cover my legs as it was cold in the room. He began running his hands up and down my legs. ̈ ̈Your legs feel so silky, Jade. ̈ he said as he turned to give me a kiss. ¨You better watch the movie.¨ I joked. Honestly, I couldn´t pay it much attention with him touching me. I felt myself start to breathe a little heavier. ¨Oh gosh.¨ I thought to myself. I felt like a kid again, panting over my crush. Craig leaned in again to give me another kiss. His lips tasted like cherry licorish. He began kissing me when I heard Greta ask to be excused. ¨What is it Greta?¨ Craig barked. ¨Sir, you have an important call¨ she said as her voice began to crack. Craig took the phone from her. ¨Hello¨ he said now sounding even more annoyed at the situation. I knew it was something serious because he shifted his body weight back towards his chair. ¨When?!¨ he asked angrily. I started to worry. I rarely see this side of him. I knew something had to be wrong because he hasn't been himself all day. He seems very short with staff. I felt as if he was trying to put on his best face for me. I started to rub his back, but he jumped to his feet. ̈ ̈How can this be-how could you let this happen?!¨ The look in his eyes was full of rage. I wasn't sure what was going on. I knew not to interrupt, so I just sat there staring at him with worry all over my face. Craig hastily headed out of the room. I sat there puzzled. The door opened again. It was Seth, he is the head of our security team. ̈Mrs. Whitman, please follow me!¨ he was now urging me to stand up. I followed him out the door. I could see our security shutters closing on the windows at the end of the hall. ̈ ̈What is happening?!¨ I began to panic. Seth didn't answer. He ushered me into a room that led to our panic room. He punched a code into the keypad. The big steel door began to open. ̈ ̈Ma ́am, please wait here for Mr. Whitman to join you ̈ he said while helping me up the steps and into the room. Victoria was already there with Sammie. ̈ ̈What is going on Jade?!̈ ̈ Sammie now beginning to ask the same questions, but no one would give us an answer. Seth walked back out. He entered the code again to close the door. 

I picked up Victoria who was now crying from all the commotion. ̈ ̈It's ok ̈ I whispered in her ear trying to reassure her. She was so tiny so any noise startled her awake. I felt helpless for a moment. I have no clue what is going on or if Craig is safe. I know he has many enemies due to his line of work in the past. There are many people who would like to get revenge on him. I was starting to pace back and forth. Sammie walked over to me. I could see she was beyond freaked out. ̈ ̈Let me take the baby Jade.¨ she said as she took her from my arms. My eyes began to fill with tears. ¨He will be ok.¨ she added. The panic room was rather small. The walls were painted grey. There wasn't any windows due to fear someone could get access to it from the outside. It has a bathroom with a small stand up shower. There was only one twin bed that had dark green sheets with a dark green comforter. There was a small round table next to it with a few wooden chairs. They brought in Victoria ́s bassent for her to sleep in and there was about a month worth of food in the cabinets that hung directly above the bed. 

The large steel door was bulletproof and unless you knew the code you could not open it from either side. I knew we were safe, but safe from what was the real question? I pulled out a chair from the table to take a seat. I was in shock. ̈ ̈What is going on here?!¨ I repeatedly kept asking myself. Craig and I were just enjoying a date night and now I am sitting in a panic room. I was starting to feel the anxiety flowing through my body. My heart was pounding in my chest. Hours had passed and we had not heard anything. Sammie was now laying down with Victoria. As she started to fall asleep, I went over and placed my daughter in her bassinet. After making sure she was fast asleep, I reached into my pocket to get out my cell phone. ̈Ugh, Craig has it!¨ Now my frustration was at a max! I was starting to get angry not knowing what was happening. A few more hours passed and still no word. I was getting tired so I climbed into bed next to Sammie.

As I lay on the twin bed with her it reminded me of when we were kids. Everytime mom would have one of her outburst, we would climb in bed together and pray she would leave us alone. Now here we are adults and we are hiding again. This time I am not sure exactly what we are hiding from! I laid there for awhile before drifting off to sleep. The next morning I was awakened by Victoria ́s cries for food. I took her out of her bed and sat at the table to begin nursing her. As I was cradling her I just started to weep. ¨This isn't supposed to be like this. ̈ I told myself. I can ́t understand how our perfect little life has turned upside down again! I haven't felt this afraid in a very long time. Craig and I have already been through so much! ¨We don't deserve this!¨ I cried while wiping the tears from my eyes. I must've cried for at least a half hour before Sammie woke up. ̈Are you ok?¨ She asked while staring at my tear soaked face. I had cried so much my nose began to feel stuffy.

¨I am Sammie.¨ I tried to reassure her, but I myself wasn't even sure if I was okay. I was starting to worry about Craig. I couldn't ever imagine losing him. He is my whole world now! Honestly, he has changed my life. Without him, I would be so lost. He is truly the love of my life. Victoria had finally stop suckeling so I decided I should burp her. I was patting her back when Sammie came to join me at the table.

 ̈Is Craig back in the business again? ̈ she asked as she whispered quietly incase someone could hear on the other side of the door. It was such a complicated answer that I knew she would never understand so I told her he wasn ́t. I didn't want her to get the wrong idea about him. Sure, he could be the most deadly man, but he was changed now that he married me. I truly believe that everything we have been through has changed him for the better. Even if it isn't true, I have to believe that he has!