Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

The drive to Jay's wears took about fifteen minutes and by the time she got there, it was 8:20. Twenty minutes late. Not so bad. Isaac must be in his office. Did he know she'd be back today? Would he come to check up on her? She could only hope. She walked upstairs, glad that most of the people downstairs didn't know her and wouldn't disturb her with welcome-back greetings. She entered the production unit and walked to the table where Lawrence and the rest of her team members were. She was met with squeals and hugs that almost threw her on the floor. She wasn't comfortable with the attention, but she couldn't deny the fact that she felt very loved and that made her happy. Sandra and Lawrence were standing at the end of the table. Sandra was scowling while Lawrence was smiling. When she got to the end of the table, Lawrence gave her a hug which lasted longer than necessary.

"Babe, I missed you." He whispered in her ear. "Did you get the cards I sent you."

Although she felt like pushing him away, she forced a smile and squirmed free from the hug, not answering his question. Yes, Lawrence had sent her get well soon cards every day since her accident, but she never opened any. She didn't want anything to do with Lawrence She'll beg Isaac to move her from Lawrence's team to some other team. And speaking of Isaac, she hoped he'd come by to see her.

Minutes later, the noise died down as everybody got back to work.

"Did you get the card I sent?" Jennifer asked her as they cut materials for a pencil trouser.

"Yeah." Caroline grinned. Everyone had sent her cards except Sandra. "Thank you so much."

"We wanted to come, see you, but there was just no time. Work starts in the morning and ends in the evening." Jennifer explained.

"I understand," Caroline whispered. "Your card meant a lot." She smiled.

Caroline heard the door open and quickly looked up hoping it was Isaac who'd come to check up on her, but she was disappointed as a random worker walked in. She continued working, looking up whenever she heard the door open only to get her hopes shattered as it was never Isaac. As the hours passed, Caroline got depressed. Why hadn't Isaac come? Didn't he know she resumed work today? Afternoon came and Lawrence released them for their thirty-minute break.

Caroline rushed into the hallway leading to Isaac's office. If he didn't come to check on her, then he probably didn't know she was around. She contemplated knocking on the door to his office. But what would she say to him? She wasn't that bold. But if she didn't, how would she see him? Should she just knock? She lifted her fist to knock when she remembered something Lawrence had said just that morning. The board members would be in a meeting from 12 to 2 pm. That meant Isaac wasn't in his office, he was in the board room. What was the time? She checked her wristwatch. 2:05. Perfect. Isaac would be out any moment from now. She'll just wait a little.

Soon, she started hearing voices and footsteps coming from the direction of the board room. They were done. She smiled to herself. If she should walk in that direction, she'll definitely bump into Isaac. What a genius she was. She started in that direction and after walking past a lot of people, she sighted Isaac from far. Her heart skipped a beat as she adjusted her shirt. Isaac wasn't looking forward, his attention was on a paper in his hand, meaning he hadn't seen her. As they drew closer to each other, he looked up and Caroline's heart beat faster. She looked away, but she knew he'd spotted her.

"Caroline!" He called to her as she was about walking past him. "You're back." He smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm fine." Caroline slowed down her pace but didn't stop walking. She smiled as she walked past him. He'll call her back. This was the part she loved. Where he'd call her back so they could talk more. Caroline smirked as she walked away expecting to hear her name, but after taking several steps and not hearing her name, her smirk died down. She looked back. To her surprise and hurt, Isaac was walking to his office, still engrossed in the paper he'd been looking at. Her shock knew no bounds. He hadn't seen her or heard anything from her for eight solid days and this was how he acted when he saw her? Hadn't he missed her at all? Caroline stood there watching Isaac as he approached his office and walked in, never for once turning back to look back at her.