Chapter Two

Jack couldn't move. His heart was pounding. He watched Caroline angrily bang his office door as she left. This couldn't be happening. Wasn't the guilt he'd been suffering enough. How could God have allowed this to happen when this was the first and only time he'd been unfaithful to Martha. Was this His way of punishing him. He couldn't believe this was his life. He'd heard these kinds of stories before, but he never imagined experiencing it. He thought about Martha, his wife. She couldn't find out about this; it'll destroy their already crumbling marriage. It'll destroy his ministry. How could he have let this happen?

Jack slowly packed his things and left the church building. He needed to think. He drove to the gate. The watchman was saying something of which he couldn't make sense. He simply nodded and drove out. He had enough troubles of his own to worry about. He needed somewhere to think. Maddie's Diner would have been the best place, but he couldn't go there because Caroline worked there. He hadn't been there for the past two months. Two months of torment which came as a result of guilt. None of this would have happened if Martha had been able to control her tongue, but he couldn't blame her. He could have postponed his meetings that day, at least he would have made it to Theresa, his daughter's school, but he forgot about the appointment with her teacher. He thought back to that day.

~ ~ ~

Jack had just finished having a meeting with the church's welfare department which lasted for hours. He was exhausted; what he needed were a fresh shower and sweet sleep, but that wasn't what he got. He returned home to find an angry Martha.

"Hey." He greeted her.

"Where have you been?" Her scowl was intimidating but Jack shrugged it off.

"In a meeting." He replied, heading to their bedroom. He didn't know why she was giving him that attitude. He wasn't even ready to know why. All he needed was a good shower and sweet sleep, but Martha didn't think so.

"Jack, what has happened to you? You always pick your work over your family."

"What are you talking about?"

"What's today's date?"

"10th, I think." He wasn't sure.

"Yes. Weren't we supposed to meet Theresa's teacher today?"

"Oh." He had forgotten about that. "I forgot about that, sorry."

"I'm not surprised. Your work is the most important thing to you. Your family is the least of your priorities."

"That's not true, Martha. You of all people should understand that I run a very busy schedule. You didn't even remind me."

"It's true," She raised her voice. "How was I supposed to remind you when you leave first thing in the morning. I've lost count of the number of times I called you today, but you didn't answer. I know you'll say your phone was silenced because you were in a meeting. Imagine the embarrassment. We both promised to meet her teacher today, only for me to start looking for excuses as to why you were absent. I don't even understand you anymore. What pastor leaves his house early in the morning, only to come back late at night?"

"Busy pastors Martha. Do you know how many meetings I had tod—"

"I'm tired of believing those. I'm tired of believing you. I'm surprised I haven't even seen lipstick stains on your shirt."

Jack felt the blood drain from his face. "What did you just say to me?"

Trembling, Martha covered her mouth with both hands and ran out of the room.

Jack walked to the door and slammed it shut. He tried hard to calm his breathing. How dare she talk to him that way? Was that what she saw him as? A cheat? No, he couldn't stay here. Not under the same roof with Martha. He needed to get as far away from her as possible before he'd angrily do something he'll regret. Opening the closet, he packed his suitcase and left the room.