Chapter Thirty-Three

A lady was yelling. Her voice seemed to be coming from downstairs. Caroline looked through the window to see what was going on. She saw a man and a woman. The man was holding a bouquet; he looked strikingly familiar. Caroline looked more closely. It was Isaac Luke. Her heart skipped a beat. What was he doing here? Who was the woman and what was she yelling at him about? The woman had her back to her, so she couldn't see her face. Caroline tried to hear the commotion was about.

"Please, let me go in and see her." Isaac pleaded.

"No." The woman yelled. "She doesn't want to see you. She doesn't need you in her life. Go away!"

Caroline gasped at the woman's remark. Who was she? She was wrong. Caroline wanted to see Isaac with everything in her. Now, the woman was succeeding in weakening Isaac's resolve. Isaac was relenting. Looking dejected, he was taking a few steps backward. No! Caroline didn't want him to go. She rushed downstairs to prevent him from leaving but she was too late. Isaac was gone and the woman, who still had her back to her was laughing sadistically. Who was this woman? Caroline walked to her to see her face and what Caroline saw shocked her. The lady was her. How on earth was that possible.

"Why did you send him away?" Caroline asked her. Not waiting for her reply, Caroline ran out of the gate to catch up with Isaac. She ran as fast as she could but Isaac was already far away. She tried shouting his name but he couldn't hear her.

"I won't let you get to him." The woman was running after her. "You're safe without him."

"No." Caroline cried as she ran.

"Don't let him fool you." The woman's voice and footsteps sounded louder as she came closer.

Caroline tried to run faster but her legs weren't cooperating. The woman grasped her hand and Caroline tripped, but before she could hit the ground, everything changed. She was no longer on the tarred road running after Isaac and no look-alike was pursuing her. She was lying down in her room, panting and perspiring like never before. What a nightmare. Caroline sighed and closed her eyes. What was the meaning of this dream? She wasn't surprised she'd dreamt of Isaac, considering the fact that she'd thought about him every single day for the past eight days, and... wait... Wasn't today Monday. She was supposed to resume work today after the eight days the company had given her to rest. What time was it? she glanced at the wall clock. 7:45. Oh, Lord. She was supposed to be at work by 8:00. What happened to her alarm? And why didn't Aunt Emni wake her up?

She showered as fast as she could. By the time she was done, it was 7:55. She sighed in defeat. There was no use rushing, she was going to be late no matter what. She picked up the pink palazzo pants and white chiffon top she'd set aside for today. She'd been anticipating this day for the past eight days, not because she missed work or anything. It was because of Isaac. When she asked him to stop coming to see her, she didn't think he'd take it this serious. For the past eight days, she hadn't received a single call or text from him. She couldn't count the number of times she'd hold her phone for hours just waiting for Isaac's call which never came. Was he angry with her? Did he hate her now? Maybe he'd lost his feelings for her. She couldn't bear those thoughts. The last thing she wanted was for Isaac to stop liking her. The hurt will be unbearable. The past eight days had seemed slower than usual as Caroline had been anticipating this day; the day she'd see him and be sure they were still cool.

She hurried out after dressing, not bothering to eat; she wasn't so hungry, after all. She needed to make it to work before 8:30. It seemed her aunt and uncle had already gone out to work. They probably didn't remember her eight days were over or they would've woken her up. She was very late. She locked the house and boarded the first cab she saw, but not before checking to make sure the driver wasn't inebriated.