Chapter Thirty-Two

This was a rare, yet happy Saturday for Lois. She had gone out with Isaac on one of their rare outings. These kind outings had been very frequent in times past but as they grew older and Isaac became much busier, they became rare. They were at The Charcoal Grill, one of the best restaurants in Abuja. Lois' grin was wide when the grilled chicken they'd ordered arrived, and right now, the chicken was halfway gone thanks to her.

"This is heavenly." She moaned as she took her umpteenth bite.

Isaac's chuckle sounded forced. He'd just taken a few bites.

"You don't like the chicken?" She asked. "Why don't you order something else."

"No, I'm good." Isaac gave her one of his forced smiles. "I just don't have any appetite."

Lois had noticed Isaac's moodiness right from the drive here. She knew he wanted to share something with her; that was the purpose of this outing. She couldn't wait any longer for him to speak up.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

Isaac stared at his half-empty glass of coke. "I just feel very horrible." He sighed.

"Why?" She was getting worried. Isaac had never looked this vulnerable to her before. He'd always been the strong one.

"Do you think Caroline hates me?"

So, this was all about Caroline. Why hadn't she figured it out earlier?

"Of course not," Lois said. "Why would she?" If only he knew that Caroline was starting to have feelings for him.

"I don't know." Isaac scratched his head. "I just feel she does."

"Did you offend her or something?"

"Well... I." Isaac opened his mouth to speak but closed it immediately, he looked away and looked back at Lois. It seemed he was finding it hard to say what was in his mind.

"Talk to me." Lois probed.

"I have something to tell you."

"Okay?" Lois nodded intently. "I'm listening." She had a feeling she knew what he was about to tell her. The thought of Isaac confessing his feelings for Caroline brought her so much inner excitement.

"I like Caroline. Like very much." Isaac looked like a small child as he spoke.

Lois grinned as she pictured Isaac and Caroline as a couple. Beautiful plus handsome was equal to cute.

"I glad you finally decided to tell me."

"Wait. You knew?" Isaac's thick brows knit in confusion.

"Of Course." She laughed. "I'm your sister, remember? I know you very much, Isaac."

"Was it... Was it so obvious?" Isaac looked frantic.

"Not to others. But to me who has spent most of my life with you, it was." Lois smiled. "You developed so much interest in her. I mean, Isaac I can't count the number of personal questions you've asked me about Caroline. From if she has a boyfriend to questions about her pregnancy. Did you see yourself the day she had the accident? It was as if you were going to die." Lois laughed. "Look how many times you came to visit her, how many times you called me to know how she was doing. You and I know that you won't do that much for just a regular employee." She smiled. "And oh my God, did you see how you were staring at her on my wedding day?" Lois laughed hard.

Isaac looked speechless and embarrassed at the same time.

"It was cute though." Lois smiled. "Don't feel embarrassed, Isaac. I'm just very happy about this news."

Isaac smiled.

"I was beginning to get scared of you dying in celibacy, with the way you never give any woman attention. But isn't it amazing that the one woman you finally give attention to is Caroline? Isaac if Caroline becomes my sister-in-law, that will be so amazing." She grinned. "You both will look so cute together."

"I want that too." Isaac sighed. "But I don't think it's going to happen."

"Why." Lois tried to hide her disappointment.

"I think she hates me?" 

He was wrong. The last Lois checked; Caroline didn't hate him. "Did you offend her or something?"

"I... Uhm..." Isaac scratched his head and looked away.

"Isaac," Lois laughed. "since when did you become shy?"

"I'm not shy. I just feel what I did was horrible."

"Talk to me, Isaac," Lois said. "You already know your secrets are safe with me."

"I kissed her." Isaac blurted.

Lois knew that already. She didn't see how a kiss would make Caroline hate Isaac.

"And?" Lois was waiting for him to complete his statement.

"That's it. I kissed her and I feel she hates me for it."

"Why do you think she hates you?" Caroline was just scared and her fear was making her build up walls. Isaac must have seen these walls and misinterpreted them for hatred.

"We were becoming so close but since the incidence, our friendship had gone so sour."

"Isaac, have you prayed about this?" That was the most important thing.

"Everyday." He nodded. "I pray about Caroline every single day."

"And what is God saying?"

"I don't know. I feel peace." Isaac smiled a little. "Every time I mention the matter to God, I feel so much peace."

Lois smiled. One of the ways God communicated His will to people was by sending them peace.

"Remember that adage that says; 'If you love something, let it go'?"

"Yeah." Isaac frowned as though he didn't want Lois to tell him to let Caroline go. He didn't have to worry.

"I don't quite agree with it." Lois smiled.

"Really?" Lois could see his relief.

"Yeah. Because that's not the example God laid for us. God is known for chasing those He loves. No matter how stubborn we are, He still keeps chasing us."

"You have a point there." Isaac nodded.

"But you just have to make sure you're chasing the right person. That person God is giving you peace about."

"Tell me where you got your wisdom from again." Isaac grinned.

Lois laughed. "Our Father in heaven is the author of all wisdom."

"But what if the person God has given you peace about told you to stop coming to see her."

"Caroline told you that?" Caroline was too timid to be that harsh.

"Yeah." He looked pained.

"You don't have to see her to chase her, you know?"

"How possible is that?" Isaac looked confused.

"You can chase her on your knees, Isaac." She smiled. "Pray for her. She needs your prayers." Caroline needed to have her wrong ideologies about men changed, and only Jesus could do that.

Isaac nodded. "I'll keep praying."

"And try to know her more." Lois smiled. She didn't want to be the one to tell Isaac about Caroline's bad history with men. If he was going to find out, it was better he found out from Caroline herself.

"But I know her already."

"Trust me, you haven't known all there is to her." Caroline smiled. "I know she won't be coming to work for the next eight days, but when she resumes, you'll be seeing each other and you'll be able to talk more."

"I won't bother her," Isaac said matter-of-factly. "If she wants me to give her space. Fine." Isaac looked very determined as he spoke. "I won't disturb her. but I'll keep praying for her."

"That's fine." It wasn't just Isaac who would be chasing Caroline in prayers, Lois would join in the chase. She hoped more than anything, that Caroline's fears would be destroyed.