Chapter Thirty-One

Caroline was getting discharged the next morning. Except for the headache and dizziness which came once in a while, and the little pain from her lower abdomen where the c-section was performed, she felt physically fine. But she was far from fine, emotionally. Was she ever going to get over the loss of her pregnancy? It was as though she came here complete, but she was leaving empty. It was all her fault. She allowed her anger to drive her to make foolish decisions. She'd taken a taxi when Isaac was there to take her home safely. How could she have been so foolish? Now her unborn child was paying for her mistake. She wiped a teardrop from her cheek.

The four days she spent here were not the best of days, but Uncle George and Aunt Emni had done everything they could to make sure she was as comfortable as she could be during her stay. They put her in a private ward which was far more expensive than the place where regular patients were kept. They paid for her c-section and bought all the expensive drugs the doctor prescribed. Caroline couldn't be more thankful. When she became successful in the future, she'll surely make sure she showered them with money, love and every good thing she could give them. But why wait when she could start thanking them now?

She turned to Aunt Emni who was seated on the chair beside her bed. Aunt Emni was engrossed in the movie they were seeing: Till Death Do Us Part. Caroline had seen the movie twice before, which explained why she wasn't fully concentrating. They'd reached the point where the main character died and just as Caroline predicted, aunt Emni started sobbing. Aunt Emni was very emotional. She always cried during movies. Caroline smiled. She knew the death was faked, but she wouldn't want to give aunt Emni any spoilers. Aunt Emni's confused look when the main character was shown again was priceless. Caroline burst into laughter. She stopped when she felt a slight headache.

"Aunt Emni, you need to stop being so emotional about movies." She smiled. "They aren't real life."

"I know." Aunt Emni laughed. "I just get so attached to the characters."

Aunt Emni's phone rang. Caroline's attention was back on the movie while Aunt Emni answered her call.

"Hey... How're you, Isaac?"

At the mention of Isaac's name, Caroline's heart skipped a beat. She turned to Aunt Emni who was now smiling, clearly happy about the call.

"Yes. I'm with her... She's far better than when you last saw her. She's getting discharged tomorrow morning." Aunt Emni smiled at Caroline. Caroline was giving her a questioning look.

"We're just watching a movie." Aunt Emni said. "Of course. You can come over. It'll be nice to have you."

Which Isaac was Aunt Emni was speaking to? Last Caroline checked, aunt Emni didn't know Isaac Luke. Caroline hadn't introduced him to her during the period he'd been dropping her off because she wasn't ready for the unnecessary questions her aunt and uncle were bound to ask. Maybe Aunt Emni knew another Isaac. But which other Isaac knew that much about her even to the point of knowing she was in the hospital?

"Okay... Till you come... Bye." Aunt Emni smiled as she ended the call.

"Who was that?" Caroline asked before she could even drop the phone.

"Oh. That was Isaac, your boss." Aunt Emni smiled. "He's such a nice young man, Isn't he?"

"How do you know my boss?" Caroline couldn't hide her surprise.

"Lois introduced him some days ago. He's so responsible." Aunt Emni smiled. "I mean, it's very rare to find bosses who care about their employees as much as Isaac does. Do you know how many times he's called to check up on you since your accident?"

"Aunt Emni, did you just invite him over?"

"Yes. Isn't that okay with you?" She looked worried.