Chapter Twenty-One

Martha felt disappointed when she drove into her compound and didn't Jack's car where it was usually parked. She tried to feign nonchalance, but that didn't ease her disappointment. Hadn't mama Grace said that he had been anticipating her arrival. Where was he when she finally arrived? That spoke volumes to Martha. She'd raised her hand to ring the doorbell when mama Grace opened the door.

"My darling." mama Grace embraced her.

"Mom" Martha hugged her.

"Mummy!" Little Tessy came running behind mama Grace. She ran into Martha's hands and Martha lifted her.

"How is my little princess doing?"

"I'm fine, Mummy. Grandma said that you went to have some time alone. I thought you ran away."

"Ran away?" Martha laughed. "I can never leave my sweetie pie all alone." She nuzzled Tessy's cheek.

"Have you had breakfast today?" Mama Grace asked Martha.

"No. I haven't. I left the hotel very early." She said as she Put Tessy down.

"We prepared something special for you."

"Come and see. Come and see." Tessy held Martha's hands as they led her into the Kitchen. The sweet aroma hit Martha immediately she entered the kitchen.

"I smell...wait. Tell me you baked chocolate cake." Martha grinned.

"Ta-dah." Mama Grace brought out the chocolate cake from the oven.

"Oh my God, Mom." Martha covered her mouth with both hands.

"I had a little help." She high-fived Tessy and placed the cake on the table.

"My little chef." Martha caressed Tessy's cheek. "Mummy is so proud of you."

"Sit down, dear." Mama Grace pulled out a chair for Martha.

Martha sat down and mama Grace brought out a large bottle of yogurt.

"Oh my God, Mum." Martha squealed. "I can't believe you still remember my favorite."

"Of course, I do. I'll never forget it."

"It looks like we're celebrating something today. What's the occasion?" Martha said.

"Of course. We're celebrating your arrival."

"Mummy, can I say the prayer," Tessy asked.

"Yes, sweetie. You can." Martha was proud of the girl Tessy was growing into.

"Dear Father, we thank you for this food. We ask that you bless it. In Jesus' name."

"Amen." They chorused.

"Aren't you joining me?" Martha asked after noticing that they had set the table for only one person.

"We've had more than enough. Enjoy."

Martha's first bite tasted like heaven. "This is so delicious, mom."

"That's what you get when grandma and granddaughter come together to bake a cake." Mama Grace grinned.

From the look on Mama Grace's face, Martha knew that she wanted to talk but couldn't bring up the topic while Tessy was here. Martha opened up a game on her phone and gave it to Tessy to keep her distracted. Tessy took it with elation.

Mama Grace smiled, she understood what Martha had just done. "Jack should be back at any moment from now." She glanced at the clock. "I don't know what's taking him so long. He left since five-thirty, this morning."