you're not hopeless, you're not stupid, you're amazing

Toni's POV

I was intrigued by the redhead, she was absolutely gorgeous, but also so self-conscious and insecure that she found it difficult to talk out loud. But, nevertheless, I wanted to know more about her. She was just so fascinating. Her red hair was braided down her back, her thick glasses framing her face and her teeth so perfect she definitely didn't need the braces she wore. When she asked me to go to Pop's, I felt my heart leap. I didn't even realise I had such feelings for her, but when she worked up the courage to ask, I was overjoyed. "I'd like that." I said truthfully.

At lunch, I was collecting my food from the free lunch line, when I felt someone stand behind me. Not just anyone, though, Cheryl. I actually felt her as she approached, her nerves and her quick breathing, without turning around, I held out my hand, palm up, and after a moment, she placed her hand on top. It's something I do with my grandad when he's too sick to talk to me, I'd leave my hand open and if he was well, he'd place his on the top to let me know. She took a sharp intake of breath and I realised that everyone else had turned their heads to watch us.

"Take a photo, it'll last longer." I said angrily, standing up for her. "W-What are you doing, Toni?" She asked, looking scared. "Don't worry about it, Cher, I've got your back." I smiled and picked up my food. I waited for her to pick up her food but instead she took an apple and a bottle of water instead of the slice of pizza. "Hey, don't you want any?" I asked. She shook her head quickly. "I-I can't." "Why?" I asked softly. "I..." before she could respond, Veronica Lodge has sneaked behind us and now stood in front of me with her arms folded, her Hermes bag hanging from her wrist. "Cheryl's anorexic, if you didn't notice. Just another thing that's wrong with her." She smirked before walking off, shaking her dark hair. I resisted the urge to punch her and turned to Cheryl, whose face was scarlet red. "Ignore her, come on, let's get out of here." I said, pulling her with me out of the cafeteria.

"W-where are we going?" She asked as I walked straight out of school and round to the parking lot, where I left my bike. "I'm taking you for some real food." I handed her a helmet but she just stood stunned. I smiled at how adorable she was. "Come here." I slipped the helmet over her head and adjusted it so that it was comfortable. She didn't take her eyes off me and I didn't break contact until the helmet was positioned and she smiled back at me. "I've never ridden one." She said, going shy again. "Just hang on tight." I said.

I swung my leg over and instructed her to do the same as I held my bike steady. The dark red suited her. She was so graceful, despite how clumsy she appeared to be. She gripped my waist as I roared the bike into life, hanging on for dear life. I felt a tingling sensation grow in my stomach throughout the journey. The ride to Pop's was fast, too fast almost, because she had to let go of my waist and I missed the feeling of her hands on me. For a moment I thought of how it might feel without the leather in between. But then the thought was gone as she handed me back the helmet.

"Hey, you've got some serious helmet hair going on." I giggled, smoothing out the flyaway strands that had fallen out from her plait. She blushed and moved her hand at the same time, instinctively righting her hair, when our hands collided. "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." She moved back but I took her hand again, calming her down. "Hey, it's okay, Cher, don't worry about it. Maybe I don't mind." I winked and she blushed again, but there was the hint of a smile behind her shyness. "Let's go inside before I freeze."

We chose a booth in the corner and Pop came over with menus. "Hey, how's my favourite girls doing?" He smiled and whispered, "free milkshake for any main." He winked and returned to the counter. Cheryl turned the menu over in deep thought and I smiled at the wrinkles in her forehead as she thought carefully. She was just perfect in every way.

///

She ate as much of her burger as she could, about half with a handful of fries, whilst my head started to think of music. Whenever I get inspiration, I just started humming without noticing. Cheryl smiles, pushing her glasses up her nose before nudging my arm. "Hey, what?" I asked with a smile. "Oh, you were humming something." She said shyly and I laughed, nodding to show it was okay. "Yeah, I do that when I get inspired by something, or someone." I said, suddenly feeling my cheeks go slightly pink. "Oh, yeah, so the music, what do you want to do?" She asked. "I guess we just write a song?" I shrugged. Her brow furrowed again, god it was cute. "Well, I can play the piano or the guitar, and we both sing?" She suggested. "Sure. Hey, I know you like your 100 percent attendance, so I'll get you back for fifth period?" I said, standing up.

She blushed and nodded, standing up and readjusting her glasses. "I-I've got AP calculus to get back for." She said as I handed her the helmet again. We drove back just in time and she hopped off, eager to get back to her classes. "T-thank you." She said as she ran inside, those who were milling around just staring in surprise. I knew it was going to be around the school within minutes, but I didn't care. I could deal with the bullies and the mean girls, and I could protect Cheryl, but she was going to have to realise just how amazing she really is.

I smiled as the bell signalled the end of they day, I sprinted out of psychology to meet her and she jumped when she saw me waiting outside her classroom. "H-hi, Toni. What's up?" I leaned against the door frame as she hurriedly packed up her things, almost leaving without her notebook. "Hey, don't forget that." I pointed out and she sighed to herself. "God, why am I so hopeless?" She said, picking it up and pushing it down to the bottom of her bag. "No, you're not. You're not hopeless, you're not stupid, you're amazing. There is nothing wrong with you. Don't put yourself down, Cher." I looked seriously into her eyes, which were a brilliant shade of light brown, so soft and warm. They were glistening with tears but she sniffed and wiped her eyes before following me to my bike.

"So, do you need a ride home?" I asked, strapping my helmet on as she stood awkwardly beside me. "I-I'll just walk, thanks." She said, walking away from me. "Wait." I ran forward to pull her back. She jumped slightly as I grabbed her arm but didn't move back so I guided her to my bike. "I'll give you a ride, it'll be so much quicker." She thought for a moment before nodding and putting her helmet on. I honestly just wanted to feel her touch one more time.

She told me to drop her off not too far from the main avenue, and I stopped where she said, near the park, but I watched as she climbed off and thanked me before walking down the block. I guess she didn't want me to know where she lived, and I wasn't going to pry. I did leave her my number in the pocket of her skirt, hoping that she would call me. As I arrived back at my trailer, I made dinner for my grandad and then went to find Jug to ask him if he knew anything about Cheryl Blossom, the shy, mysterious redhead who I can't stop thinking about.