"It's really her." I raised my head to the girls whispering to themselves in front of me. They shifted uncomfortably, the moment their eyes met mine.

"Let's go sit somewhere else." One of them told the other. They got up from the table in a hurry, and scurried away. My eyes met the next table in front of mine, which was now really visible, now that the two girls had left. There were seniors on that table, and Racheal was one of them. She took her eyes away, immediately she noticed I had caught her staring,  hurrying to put a fork of roasted beef into her mouth. Luke was sitting right beside her. His eyes buried on his food, but it didn't look like his mind was anywhere close to it. He just sat there numb, like he was scared to look up, to look at me, fiddling with his fork. Not like I expected him to say anything. He must have probably felt the same way they all did.

Why did I care what he thought about me anyway? Why did I care what they all thought about me?

I just needed to focus, eat my meal and go. I checked my watch. Where was Grace? Why was she making me eat alone, when she knew just how uncomfortable it was going to be for me? She promised to not leave my side the whole day. I exhaled. Maybe she was just running late, or had something to do. She was going to meet up eventually.

"She has such guts coming to school today, after what she did"

"Look at her acting so clueless and ignorant— "

"She has no idea what is about to happen to her, does she?"

"How can she sit there and act like nothing happened?"

"I feel sorry for her —"

"I'm beginning to hate her guts."

The whispers were getting a bit louder now.

I held my breath for a second, and then drew a deep breath.

I did nothing wrong. I told myself, and then turned to my food. I just had to ignore everyone. I was hearing footsteps approach me, but I couldn't care less. I picked up my fork, and then paused for a second, when I noticed a presence beside me. Not just one, there were about three of them, and then the strong scent of their perfumes. I let out a short frustrated breath, and then dropped my fork slowly. 

Had they graduated from talking behind my back, now to actually approaching me?

I raised my head slowly, and in the most nonchalant way ever. What was it?

My breathing stopped for a second, when my eyes met Oma's. She was standing there, in her perfectly fitted uniform, with a huge frown on her face, folded hands, mild make up, long black weave with a shiny diamond head band on it, and her tie, perfectly knotted. That was as far as I could notice. I couldn't exactly examine her outfit, with the way she had her eyes focused on me, like she was going to slap me.

She slapped me.

And the moment she did, my glasses came off my face instantly, and landed on the table, as I turned my face in response. I could hear a wizzing sound in my right ear, and feel a sharp pain on my cheek too. I could also feel tears welling my eyes, and I was sure I wasn't responsible for it.

"You shameless piece of trash."

I slowly raised my head, following Oma's words.
Hold it in, Kora. Don't retaliate, or say anything, just ignore her and she was going to go away.

I had to give myself a second. A second to breathe. I slowly pulled the strand of my braids from my mouth, focusing my attention on my glasses. I reached for it slowly. The entire cafeteria had their attention on us now, and they were shocked at what had happened. You should have seen all the noise they were making.