Chapter Ten

School flew by in a blink of an eye, and for once I wasn't tired

School flew by in a blink of an eye, and for once I wasn't tired. My attention was mostly on the lessons, and because of that I took good notes. I took so many that by the middle of the day I just stopped. So when the last class came around, I had already packed my things up.

The lesson was  just a continuation of the last one, and most likely we would have a test tomorrow. I wasn't that worried because I knew the material, and most likely I wasn't going to study for it.

I turned my attention from the lesson to the blank wall. I let my mind wander, and it settled on one thing. My father. I hadn't spoken to him in days, and it was unusual for him not to contact me for such a long period of time. I dug my phone out of my pocket and sent him a quick message.

Me: just checking in?

It was a strange thing to send him, but he would understand it. I was about to put my phone back in my pocket when it vibrated. That was fast. I opened it to see that it wasn't my father who had texted me, it was Ba Wei.

Ba Wei: What are you doing?

That was a dumb question. I was in the same place he was, and I couldn't necessarily just walk out when I pleased.

Me: what do you think?

I waited patiently for the text back. I made sure to spare a glance to the teacher every now and then to make sure she didn't notice me on my phone. I wasn't scared of the consequences of being caught, but it was best not to be.

Ba Wei: idk, you could've been on the roof.

I don't know why he would think that. I never missed class unless I had to. If I did, my father would find out and you know how angry parents go. Wait.

Me: are you?

A response came back right away. I wonder if he sent it with sarcasm in mind because that's what it was dripping with.

Ba Wei: of course I'm not.

Before I could text back a stern voice calls my name. I immediately stood up. Dammit.

"Are phones permitted in this classroom," the teacher asked? I could feel all the eyes on me, and it made me very uncomfortable. Pushing how I felt to the back of my mind, I answered her as I usually would.

"No ma'am."

"Then why were you on yours?" I didn't know how to answer. I couldn't tell her that I was texting another student, it would add fuel to the fire.