Chapter Sixteen

Ba Wei returned from the vending machines with two bags of chips and two drinks

Ba Wei returned from the vending machines with two bags of chips and two drinks. I studied his hands and to my surprise they were all things I liked. He handed me one of each and I said thank you. He took a seat beside me and began to eat. Although I wasn't really hungry I opened mine and began to eat also

"Do you usually eat and drink these kinds of things for breakfast," I asked covering my mouth as I spoke?

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"I never have time to cook," he said sighing. "It's not a big deal so don't make it one." I nearly choked on the chips in my mouth.

"What do you mean," I said struggling to keep my breath? "Why would I make a big deal out of it?"

He looked over at me. "Just a hunch." I narrowed my eyes at him and he just chuckled. The small smile that spread across  his lips in that moment made my heart pound. My face immediately started to redden. I quickly lowered my head to try to hide it, but Ba Wei still noticed.

"Why is your face all red?" I didn't respond and Ba Wei laughed. "You're easy to embarrass ."

"No I'm not," I quickly responded.

"Lying is useless when you have reactions like that." I couldn't say anything because he was right when it came to my reactions but I wasn't lying. I barely got embarrassed, but for some reason around him I do. It seems like every little thing he does makes my face heat up.

"I'm not lying," I said looking up at him, "this only happens around you." He raised an eyebrow and a smile spread across his face putting his perfect teeth on display.

Our eyes met, "So, I'm special then?"

"Yeah I guess so." I could have said that he wasn't, but it would've been a lie. He was the only person that I did this around. Come to think of it, he was the only person that I could stand to be around.

"I'll enjoy the special treatment then," he said as he broke eye contact. Before I could say anything in return a high pitched voice called my name.

"Ji Nan!"

That voice was all too familiar, and as I turned to look where it came from; I was surprised to see Ya Ling approaching me since she had been ignoring me since Monday. I didn't move from where I was and neither did the guy beside me.

"Ji Nan," she said as she stopped in front of me. Her eyes met mine then they shifted to Ba Wei. "Can I speak with you?"

"You are." I responded coldly.

"I mean alone." As she said this she glanced at Ba Wei, and he seemed to notice. I thought he would leave but he just crossed his legs and continued eating.

"You can say what you have to say right here." She seemed to be annoyed by my statement, but I didn't care.

"Um okay. I wanted to say I'm sorry."