|M| Chapter Fourteen

We stayed at that little pond talking about nothing for an hour

We stayed at that little pond talking about nothing for an hour. Within that hour, I learned multiple things about Ba Wei. Like how he loves animals and how he hates sweet food. I never thought he would actually tell me anything about himself, so when he actually started answering my questions I was caught off guard. Even when I asked why he was telling me all this, he would say it was because I wanted to know.

Although I knew a lot about Ba Wei there was something that I truly wanted to ask. He said there was consequences that came with being his friend, and I wanted to know why. I know that me asking this would probably provoke him to ask more questions about me; but I didn't care.

"Hey," I called, "why are there consequences when being your friend?" He didn't look at me but rather just stared at the water. I had been studying Ba Wei a lot since I met him, and one thing is clear. He tends to not want to speak when it's a question he doesn't want to answer. It's a cute trait on him, but it is frustrating.

"My face and name brings baggage." His voice was low, and stern. He sounded really serious, and this made me even more curious.

"What kind?"

"The kind that is dangerous." I didn't mean to smile, but I did.

"Sounds like fun." His eyes met mine and a smirk appeared on his face.

"So what's with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean what's up with those fake smiles you love to showcase." I couldn't help but laugh nervously.

"I'm just really friendly. I want to make everybody happy."

"So faking a smile is you being really friendly?"

"I don't know. I just find that it makes life easier." As we spoke about this an unfamiliar feeling surfaced within me. I couldn't identify what it was but I knew that this topic wasn't something I wanted to talk about anymore. "Can we not talk about this any longer?" My voice was softer than what I wanted.

"Sorry, I don't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"No, I'm fine. I'd just rather not discuss that." I was happy that he picked up on how I felt. He's the first to do that in a long time. I pulled out my phone and checked the time. It was almost midnight. "It's getting really late. We should probably head back."

"Yeah," he said as he stood up and I followed soon after.

"Lead the way sir." He chuckled, but didn't object and led the way out. I never thought I'd appreciate the city until now. I love nature and that place was beautiful, but I like being familiar with places I go.

"Do you want to get back on my back?" He turned to look at me with one of his eyebrows raised.

"No, I can walk," I said as I walked pass him.