19.

Georgia's POV

Being best friends with someone for 20 plus years meant you knew them really well.

It meant that we were really close. And we were.

But now I felt further away than ever. He chose her or at least that's what it felt like. When he told me they got back together, my heart sank to my stomach and didn't return.

I've been feeling awful ever since and there was nothing I could do about it. The power was now in his hands.

If he wanted to still be friends, it was going to have to come from him. I was done apologising and stressing about us.

I was always the one putting in effort. It's like he didn't even care. It's like he relied on me to fix us when we had a problem.

It felt like I was friends with a wall. It was driving me mental.

I thought maybe that was my chance to tell him how I feel but I didn't. As soon as he said it was a mistake, I stood down.

I knew that for now, I was getting my best friend back and I could worry about telling him how I feel another time. It just didn't seem as important at the time.

And then there's the main reason for my pain. He got back together with Lily. And waited until I approached him.

But even then, he didn't want to tell me. I knew something was up straight away when he tried to hurry me out of there as quick as he could.

He knew Lily was around and he didn't want me to know.

It just hurt to know that while I was crying myself to sleep for over 2 weeks, he was with her.

I just wish that he could see that she doesn't care about him like I do. I know everything about him and I'm always there for him.

Not her.

Yet she is in a relationship with him and I'm left heart broken and alone.

She cheated on him the same time I got cheated on.

The only difference is that my ex isn't in the picture anymore. I just couldn't comprehend how he could have taken her back.

What about her is better than what I am. I suppose I just had to accept the fact that I wasn't good enough. And that I never would be.

Now that's he's with her, the chances of me telling him how I feel are at a halt.

Putting myself out there would just embarrass me even more.

Him getting back with her told me everything I needed to be proved. That he didn't love me the way I loved him.

I felt so stupid for thinking there was ever a chance he would.

In reality, no one like him would ever like a girl like me. I was never going to be what he wanted and it just hurt to finally realise it.

When you're in love with someone your whole life, letting go of that person is the hardest thing you can do.

You don't love someone and dream that they won't love you back. For me, it didn't come as a shock. It just made me sad to realise it was over.

I cried a lot since I found out what happened. Since he told me they were back together. I cried and cried hoping it would wash away some of the pain, but it didn't.

All it did was remind me that this was real. It wasn't a dream. Everything that happened was happening for a reason. One that I was yet to find out.