"Nice place." He said.

I nodded my thanks. "Uh, do you want anything to drink?"

James smiled again. "Nah, I'm good." He said

We stood in an awkward silence until I invited James upstairs.

"Taking a boy upstairs."

I rolled my eyes at myself as James and I ascended that stairs. James was just a friend and until I decided what was going on with Cain, it would remain that way. I thought back to the kiss James and I had shared. Was I leading James on? I decided that before James left, I'd have to let him know I wanted to be friends.

James and I entered my room. He strolled over to my office chair, taking a seat. He glanced around my room. There wasn't much to take in besides how abnormally clean it was. I suddenly felt self-conscious; how silly that the cleanliness of my room was what made me uncomfortable.

I realized I had been standing for too long as James was staring at me inquisitively. I shuffled over to my bed and set down. The mi-day sunlight caught James' beautiful eyes as he rotated to face me. I stared in awe at the dazzling emerald orbs.

"So what have you been up to?" James said.

"Nothing much. Cleaning." I said.

James smiled. "So you ditched school to clean?"

I couldn't help but smile. "Ha. No, I uh, have plans later on though."

James raised an eyebrow. "Really." He chuckled. James' reaction brought blood to my face. I knew he was teasing but was it that incredulous that I had plan's for tonight?

"Yea." I said as serious as possible. Again, James just laughed. I found myself laughing too; James' laugh was too infectious.

James and I hung out for the next couple of hours. As the sun began to set, James told me he needed to get home.

"My mom will know I ditched if I don't get home around the time I get out of practice." He said.

I felt a little sad. I hadn't thought about anything bad since James had been with me. Noticing my discontentment, James tried to console me.

"We can hang tomorrow maybe?" He said. I smiled and nodded. I mentally cursed myself for making James think he had to stay with me. James stood and together we headed downstairs.

"And tomorrow let's actually go out." James said suddenly, as we walked towards the door.

I agreed. I opened the door and James stepped out but turned to hug me goodbye. I welcomed the kind gesture but as he angled his head over mines, I turned slightly, and his lips pecked my cheek. I felt myself reddening.

"James, I-" I began but I couldn't form words. I had forgotten all about the conversation James and I were supposed to have.

"It's okay." He interrupted, he pulling back. He ran his hand through his hair composing himself, offering me a small smile.

James' reaction had me searching for an explanation.

"Things are compl-" I began but again James interrupted me.

"No, seriously its okay. I'll text you?" Resolved, I swallowed and nodded my understanding. James waved and headed to his car. I watched as he backed out and drove off. I didn't know how to feel.

"I hope I haven't driven him off."

The thought made my heart clench. Why was I so bad with people? I closed the door, as the mid-evening sum cast a haunting light on our porch.
__________________________________________________________

I kept myself busy with The Handmaid's Tale. I was watching the main character, Offred as she bickered with another character, Serena. A hard knock on the front door made me pause the show. Another hard knock had me flying down the stairs. Who would be knocking on my door this hard at this hour? My mom usually wasn't home this early and regardless, she had her key.

"It must be Jamie. I told her she could just call me instead of knocking."

But as I opened the wooden door, a tall man with black hair and a dark, stern gaze was standing before me. I didn't shrink or shift at his gaze this time. Deep down, I knew it was a matter of time before he would seek me out.

"Cain." I said, as evenly as I could manage.

Noticing I was on edge, Cain took a step forward. I tightened my grip on the door preparing to shut it. Cain anticipated this and placed one hand on the door, preventing me from closing it no matter how hard I pushed.

"Shit, he's strong."

I realized then I had no choice but to talk.