Chapter Ten

I couldn't believe I was actually going to Cain Reynold's house. I didn't even belong in the same sentence as Cain Reynolds. Jamie and I stood in front of my bathroom mirror getting ready.

After I fixed my hair, I stepped back to admire my work. I noticed Jamie's petite reflection moving as she finished her make-up. I took in her brunette ringlets that fell in light tresses around her neck. Her heart shaped face was perfectly framed by her hair. She applied lip-gloss to her lips which were curved in a perfect pout. My friend was truly gorgeous.

"Take a picture. It'll last longer." Jamie said suddenly. I smiled. I was happy Jamie agreed to come with me to Cain's. Hopefully she'd help offset the tension I felt around Cain. Besides, I knew very few of Cain's friends. The rumor was that Cain's entire circle was very intense. I couldn't imagine getting on with them. And what kind of games were we going to play? Cain didn't strike me as the type to enjoy Monopoly.

I mocked a camera with my hands and made shutter noises with my mouth and Jamie giggled. My phone buzzed. It was James.

'be safe tonight'

I smiled. Even though he was disappointed, James was understanding when I asked him to reschedule or night out. I typed a quick thanks and promised to text him when I got back home.

I put my phone away but it buzzed again. I expected to see a reply from James but instead Cain's name flashed across my screen. Just the thought of what Cain's text said had butterflies gathering in my stomach.

'Please be on time'

I checked the time. It was almost eight thirty and the party started at nine.

"Jamie, we need to get ready to go." I said.

Jamie nodded and started packing her things. I stepped into the mirror again, making sure I looked good. I hoped that I looked good.

"For Cain."

I reddened slightly at my own thoughts. I couldn't deny that I wanted to look good at Cain's party though not for Cain himself. Well, not just Cain.

"You ready?" Jamie asked, interrupting my thoughts.

I gave my reflection one last glance.

"Yea, lets go"
_____________________________

As we rode through town, houses and lights were replaced by dense foliage and the smooth street was replaced by a long dirt road. The stars became more visible and it was clear that Jamie and I were in the notorious Seranton Woods. These woods were currently being cultivated. There was a new subdivision being created in the woods though it was said to be very hard to move into. Apparently, this was where Cain lived.

Jamie and I were accompanied by the rush of wind and crooning of Maroon Five on the ride to Cain's house. Or should I say castle.

Eventually, the dirt road broke off into a paved street. It was here that Jamie and I rode pass several gigantic houses. These magnificent structures were hidden amongst the trees and showed tell-tale signs of new construction. Jamie and I rounded a corner at the request of our navigation app. There stood a huge, white house though the word house didn't do this building justice. Marble pillars surrounded a spacious front porch. Several cars were lined up in the driveway. As we parked, I noticed there were small wolf figurines engraved in the pillars. I was in awe of the wealth required for something so grand.