Chapter Eleven

For next hour, we cycled through the usual card games. Twenty-One. Speed. Go Fish. Poker. And throughout it all I had to bear the growing warmth of Cain's touch. At this point, our thighs were pressed together. The small waves of heat had become so warm that I began to feel sweat gather on my forehead.

"I'm having hot flashes."

But I knew that wasn't true. Cain Reynolds was hot. And it was making me hot. But did he have a fever? I thought I remembered reading something about athletes having a higher core temperature than average people. Regardless, the contact muddle my mind; I could barely play the card games because all I could think about was the intensity of Cain's touch.

I peered up from my cards to look at Cain. His cheeks were lightly flush. His lips were parted and his eyes were concentrated on how the hand before him was unfolding. His eyes suddenly cut to me.

I didn't look away. The scent of pine that had faded into the background returned full-fledged. The butterflies never left but multiplied. All I could think about were Cain's eyes. Amazingly, the heat on my leg grew hotter. I saw a droplet of sweat roll down Cain's temple.

Cain's eyes darkened. This time I was sure. The golden orbs swirled until they were a deep amber.

"What the hell?"

"Cain." Alexander said, though Cain and I never broke eye contact. "

"Cain." Alexander repeated, this time a little louder. Surprisingly, Cain turned to meet his friends gaze.

"Why don't we play something else?" Alexander questioned.

Cain didn't speak. The others stared at Cain and I. Leon eyed the contact between our legs with an intrigued smirk.

The blond, Inez, broke the silence. "Let's play Monopoly."

Alexander nodded in agreement. He went over to the cabinet and rummaged around before pulling out the long, teal box. Cain stood up suddenly, rushing out of the door. My leg felt bare with Cain's warmth. I pushed away the slight longing for Cain's touch. Inez headed out the door.

Noticing the surprised look on my face, Alexander gave me a nervous smile. Without Cain's around me to confuse my senses, I could think again. I took my phone out. I had a few messages from James but he would have to wait. I began typing a message to Jamie.

'im about to go pee ;)'

I told Jamie of my plans to uncover the nature of Cain's interest in me. Jamie relished in her ability to help me.

"Of course!" She had exclaimed when I told her of my plans.

I stood and awkwardly walked over to Alexander, I could feel Holly and Joshua's gaze on my back. I heard Jamie speak.

"Hey Holly," Jamie said enthusiastically. "I love that sweater, where'd you get it?"

"Good 'Ol Jamie"

"Hey, where's the bathroom?" I asked Alexander, feigning indifference. I didn't want him to know I planned on confronting Cain. Alexander was always the one to mediate on Cain's behalf.

Alexander held my gaze for a moment before he spoke.

"It's down the hallway but I'll show you. It's a big house." He said, before putting away the money he'd been sorting.

"Crap"

"It's okay. I can find it. Finish setting up the game, I love Monopoly." I said, hoping Alexander didn't catch on.

"Well, okay. It's straight down the main hallway to the left."

I smiled my thanks and hurried out of the room before anyone could interrupt me. I exited to the main hallway but I didn't make a left.