Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

She stopped running and stood still, not looking back. She covered her face with both hands.

"You all can go home," Lawrence said to the rest of them as he walked to Sandra. "We'll continue tomorrow."

Full of relief, Caroline packed her bag and hurried out hoping Isaac hadn't left her. She was approaching his office door when he came out with his briefcase.

"Caroline." He grinned.

"It amazed Caroline, the effects people's vibes had on her. She'd just come out from a cold atmosphere and she sincerely wasn't happy. But with Isaac and all the positive air around him, Caroline was happy and comfortable.

"Good evening, Isaac." She smiled.

"How was work today?" He locked the door to his office.

"It was okay." The day had gone well, at least everyone was minding their business until the misunderstanding with Sandra came up. But Caroline wouldn't let that spoil her day.

As they walked down the stairs, Caroline wished she could be invisible. She wasn't ready for all the looks that she was bound to receive because she was walking with the CEO. But to her surprise, most of the workers had left and it remained just a few who didn't pay her much attention as they greeted Isaac.

"You're trying," Caroline said as they walked to his car. "Having to respond to greetings from this number of people every day."

"I kind of like it." Isaac smiled. "I prefer being the approachable boss rather than the stern one. You know when your employees love you, they give you their loyalty."

"That's true," Caroline remembered James, her former boss and how nice and approachable he'd been. Most of his employees had given him their loyalty. He must have known this secret.

They got to Isaac's car. Caroline reached out to open the door to the passenger seat, but Isaac beat her to it.

"Allow me to be a gentleman." He grinned as he opened her door; closing it when she had gotten in.

Caroline admired this man's humility. After starting the car, Isaac connected his phone to the Car's stereo and scrolled through his playlist.

"You're going to have to give me directions when we get to Airport road." He said.

"Alright." Caroline grinned when Isaac started playing a song by Travis Greene. "You listen to Travis Greene?"

"I'm a big fan."

"You've heard crossover?"

"Yeah." Isaac scrolled through his playlist and played crossover. Caroline couldn't resist the urge along.

"Have I told you that you have a beautiful accent?"

"I think so." Caroline hoped she wasn't blushing.

"So, I was going through your documents, not for official reasons, I must confess. But just because I was curious about you. I hope you don't mind that."

She smiled. "No. I don't."

"You're from New York, right?"

"Yes."

"So, what brought you to Nigeria?"

"My aunt lives here. She's Nigerian."

"Interesting." Isaac looked impressed. "What part of Nigeria is she from?"

"Plateau State."

"That's a nice place." He smiled. "I'm guessing your parents don't stay around here."