| XXVII | The Search Begins

*No POV*

     When the elemental masters finally landed on the ground, they were separated. Most of them, anyway.

     Shade went his own way, of course—he even found a bow and arrow resting on a tree trunk—and so did Skylor. But the Ninja found themselves all away from each other, which annoyed them.

     Kai's eyes widened as he realized he was falling straight toward the volcano. He wasn't Scarlett—his resistance to heat wasn't as great as hers, yet even she couldn't be in lava for too long—it was just too much.

     Fortunately, he landed on the rock and sighed in relief. However, he didn't expect his parachute to catch fire in the lava and drive up the string and to his back, and once he felt the heat on his back, he practically looked like he was dancing around to try and get it off.

     "Ow, ow, ow!"

     Jay's string got caught up in the branch without him realizing it, and was left hanging in the air. He heard Kai's shouts and hummed, turning his head.

     He finally noticed he was caught in a tree, a little too late, when the branch snapped and he fell flat on his stomach with a grunt. The parachute covered him completely.

     "That did not feel good..."

     The other elemental masters were getting settled in on the land. Scarlett dusted off her legs and found Neuro doing the same next to her.

     "Shall we begin our search, then?" he asked her, smiling just a bit. "She can't be too far."

     "Before we do that... I want you to know that Chen's lying," Scarlett told him with a rather serious look. He was going to say something before she cut him off, "Whether you believe me or not... that's your choice. Thank you for wanting to search for Nya with me... but I'm telling you right now that if we find her first, she's not going to Chen."

     Neuro took her hand in his, nodding. "Then let's get to searching."

     All seriousness was gone from her face and was instead replaced with a heavy blush and embarrassment. "Don't do that! It's embarrassing."

     A small chuckle escaped him as he let go of her hand. "Sorry. I couldn't resist."

     She never would have taken him for the teasing type. But maybe, just maybe, beneath all that seriousness he could be like this with other people, ones he could call friends.

     She smiled at the thought.

     "Anyway..." Scarlett shook her head, regaining her senses. "It's a shame Turner's not with us, but hopefully we'll cross paths and he can join us. I'm separated from the guys... but at least I have you."

     The usual anthem then went off, and Chen's voice was heard from every speaker. "Hail, combatants! I have left you a few treats to help you in the hunt. I hope you use them wisely..."

     Neuro grinned, his eyes finding a dagger not too far off from them—but Scarlett placed a hand on his chest before he could move for it.

     "For once, he is doing us a favor. Why stop?"

     "Because," she answered. "That's the problem. Why is he doing us a favor?"

     Chen then continued to speak, as if forgetting he was still on air. "Clouse, why have I never had a mobile base? It's my new favorite toy, hoo hoo! There's so many buttons and surprises..."

     Scarlett and Neuro glanced at each other, sighing.

     "I don't wanna touch that weapon. And as long as you're with me, you aren't touching it either."