Chapter Twenty-Four

Emily's Pov

"Did I do something wrong?"

"Why aren't you answering my calls?"

"Please answer, Emily."

"I'm sorry if I did or said something wrong."

"Please, just call me back."

My eyes welled up with tears as I listen to the desperation in his voice. I hate doing this, I do, but to make this easier for the both of us, I have to.

I have been avoiding Luke for more than a week now, and it's killing me. I haven't even been attending classes because I was too busy finalizing everything.

I looked down at my phone and opened up the message box.

39 new messages.

I left the message box before locking my phone and placing it down on the table.

I slowly grabbed my coffee mug and just stared out the window of the small coffee diner I was currently in.

A soft sigh escaped my lips as my phone vibrated on the table. Again.

I looked down at it to see an incoming call from Luke, but I just pressed ignore and carried on with my coffee.

********

I looked around the now almost empty dorm room. A sigh escaped my lips as I fell back on the bed, closing my eyes and enjoying the peace.

My mind kept going back to the look Luke gave me when I didn't say I loved him back.

Yes, he told me that he would wait until I could finally say it, but it was hard knowing that things would change between us if he knew.

I don't know how things would turn out if he knew what I was about to do.

My heart broke when he said he loved me because I knew that it would hurt me even more. That's why I didn't say it back.

Of course, I love Luke, but knowing that everything would change, I couldn't find myself saying it to him.

He has been the best boyfriend I have ever had, and now I'm about to do what I'm going to do.

I don't know how Luke would take it. Maybe he would get mad, or perhaps he would be understanding, but who knows.

Life is a cruel thing when you have to do this to the people you love. And now I'm doing this because of HIM.

HE's the one that made most of my life miserable, yet I care enough about HIM to leave behind the one person who has been there for me. The one person I love with all my heart.

Without even noticing, tears escaped my eyes. I slowly brought my sleeve covered fists up to my face and rubbed my eyes, trying to get the tears to stop.

I sighed as I phone went off. I sat up straight and reached for my phone. I slowly picked it up from my bed and saw Alex's name pop up. I

"Hello?" I asked in a soft voice.

"Where the fuck are you, Emily? Why haven't you called me back?" Luke shouted through the phone.

I sucked in a breath as a sob was about to escape my mouth at the sound of his voice.

"Emily, please tell me where you are," he said in a much softer tone.

I hesitated before saying, "My dorm room" in a soft voice barely above a whisper.

Tears poured from my eyes as Luke ended the call, and all that was heard was the beeping noise.

A sob escaped my lips as I pulled my legs onto the bed and pulling them close to my chest. I rocked back and forth as I dread what going to happen.

My eyes closed as the room was filled with the sound of my sobbing.

"Emily open up," I heard a loud voice say, followed by him banging on the door. "Emily, open this fucking door," he said a little harsher than before.

I slowly made my way over to the door and unlocked it before opening it up to reveal an angry-looking Luke.

Without even saying anything else, he walked into the room, bumping his shoulder with mine in the process.

I slowly closed the door and wiped my face with my sleeve before turning around to see Luke sitting on my bed with his hands, fisting his hair.

I unwantedly let out a sob, and Luke's head immediately snapped up towards me. I watched as his eyes turn from pure anger to concern.

"What's wrong?" He asked in a soft tone as he got up from my bed and walked over to me.

Before I could register anything, Luke wrapped his arms around me- hiding my face in his chest.

A lot of sobs escaped my mouth as the tears kept falling. Luke didn't say anything. Instead, he just rubbed my back in a soothing matter.

"Emily, what happened?" He asked as he pulled my face away from his chest.

My eyes closed when Luke brought his hand up to my face to gently wipe the fallen tears away.

"Emily, please. You can tell me," he said as he looked me straight in the eyes.

"I-I...I" I stuttered not being able to get the words past my lips.

"You can tell me," he whispers as my crying continues.

I closed my eyes as tight as possible as I took a shaky breath. My heartbeat was speeding up by the second.

"I'm leaving."