Chapter Fifteen

Emily's Pov

A small smile crept onto my face as we walked up to the entrance of the mall.

The ride here was mostly filled with music and me and Luke singing off-key with it. We didn't talk at all, but it wasn't awkward.

"Are you hungry?" Luke asked as we looked around.

"A little," I responded as I remembered that I hadn't eaten today.

Luke looked around for a second until he grabbed my wrist and pulled me over to some small Mexican diner.

"Good afternoon, my name is Margo, and I'll be your waitress," an elderly lady said as we took a seat at a small booth.

"Can I get the two of you something to drink?" She asked with a warm smile on her face.

"I'll have a large Coke," I said while looking down at the menu in my hands.

"Make that two," Luke said from across the booth.

The lady nodded her head and walked away, leaving Luke and me there.

"So why did you want to take me out?" I asked as I folded the menu closed and placed it in front of me and rested my elbows on top of them.

"Because I knew it was hard on you to sit at that table and pretend that nothing's wrong," he said as he placed the menu aside.

"What do you mean?" I asked a little confused.

"Emily, you told me about what happened with you and James last night," he sighed.

"No, I wouldn't," I said as I slowly shook my head.

"Emily, people tend to say stuff when they are drunk," he stated with a sympathetic look in his eyes.

"Did I maybe tell you something else?" I asked.

Luke looked down at his fumbling hands and shifted in his seat before looking back up at me.

"No, nothing else," he said, and it wasn't hard to see the shine in his eyes as a smile formed on his lips.

I was about to ask him if he was lying, but before I could, our waitress came back with our drinks.

"Are you ready to order?" She asked as she took out a small notebook and pen.

"Yeah, I'll have a chicken taco," Luke said while handing her his menu.

"And for you?" She asked as she looked at me.

"I'll have a chicken burrito," I said and handed her my menu and watched how she jotted it down on the notebook.

"Will that be all?" She asked, and both Luke and I nodded our heads.

"So, why aren't you with Madison?" I asked curiously.

"Oh...uh..... we broke up," he said cusually as if it didn't bother him.

"Why?" I asked while raising one of my eyebrows.

"She was still in love with her ex," he said as he kept his eyes lock on mine almost as if he was looking for something in them.

"I'm sorry," I said as I flashed him a small smile.

"Don't worry about it. It was a mutual feeling," he said as his smile widened a little.

"Oh, so who's her ex?" I ask as more curiosity took over.

"James," he muttered under his breath, almost like he didn't want me to hear. But I did.

I guess she is the girlfriend he talked to me about at the carnival.

The girlfriend who cheated on him. I guess I wasn't good enough for him if he went back to her.

Maybe he wanted from me for what he always has gotten from her.

I feel so stupid right now.

"Oh," I mumbled as I placed my hands in my lap and started fiddling with my fingers.

"But at least he got what he deserved," he said, making me furrow my eyebrows at him.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Didn't you realized his bruised face this morning?" He asked, and I just shrugged my shoulders.

Yeah, I did notice it, but I just thought that he had gotten into a fight at the club while he was drunk or something like that.

"Well, after you went to sleep last night, I went back to my dorm room. When I got there, James wasn't there." He started.

"This morning, I caught him sneaking into the room with his hair messed up, his shirt on backward and his belt hanging around his neck."

"I asked him about what he did, but he just said that he didn't do anything, that it was you who forced yourself on him, and that didn't want someone like that," Luke said and took a deep breath.

"So because I know you wouldn't do that, I lost it and threw a few punches to his face," Luke finished, never breaking eye contact with me.

"Thank you," I said as a smile formed on my lips.

"Here you go," I heard.

I looked up to see our waitress standing there while placing our orders on the table.

"Do you need anything else?" She asked, and I just slowly shook my head.

I looked down at the burrito on the plate, and my stomach started to growl, making me realized how hungry I am.

********

Its been almost an hour, and Luke and I are finally finished, and I was just about to take the money out of my purse when Luke beat me to it.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I held the money in my hands.

"I'm paying," he answered with a duh-look on his face.

"Why?" I asked as I placed the money on the counter, but Luke just swatted my hand away.

"Because I was the one who took you here," he said as he placed his money on the counter, making me swat his hand away.

"Can we split it?" I asked.

"No," he answered shortly and placed the money on the counter, but before I could say anything, the cashier took the money and looked at the both of us with a pleasant smile on her face.

I sighed as Luke grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the diner.

"So where to next?".