Chapter 3

Laurens P.O.V

(Camren headquarters)

I need to stop this as soon as possible. This morning my informant sent news from the other side of the border that there was a dangerously large amount of weapons and drugs now in transition. Right under my fucking nose, yesterday I was next to that bastard.

I closed my eyes and leaned back into my chair as my feet rested on the desk. It replayed in my mine over and over, everything that I had seen yesterday. There was no way they could have smuggled that much. There was nothing besides the million gifts sent to the Mendes mansion....the Mendes mansion, the gifts, then it hit me. I opened my eyes, they could have put the drugs and weapons in the gifts and used it as a cover up.

I had to check it out again. I got into my jeep and drove of. When i arrived at the Mendes house, I knew they were not going to let me in if I said I suspected them of smuggling. So I parked my jeep and walked up to the gates. "Hi, I am Officer Jauregui, I was sent here to discuss certain issues with Mr. Mendes." I stated firmly to the guards. They gave me a stern look, I didn't not look away, that would show weakness. Then they opened the gates, must be my lucky day.

I walked down the extremely long forest like pathway leading to the front door. I rang the bell and waited, the door was opened by a guy.

"Hi, my name is Shawn and you are?"

"Officer Jauregui, I am here to inquire about the gifts that Mr. Alejandro had presented to you yesterday, we have information to believe that there may have been a mix up with certain presents, did you notice anything out of the ordinary?" I lied...he looked very confused but still asked me to come in.

I took the opportunity to take a quick glance around the house, nothing really suspicious. Shawn turned to me.

"We had the presents sent to our guest house and I assure you there was nothing out of the ordinary."

I did not believe him for a second, one thing you learn in the world is to never trust anyone, all they will do is betray you. I thanked him and asked if I could use the bathroom, he gave me me directions and I walked away.

Ofcourse I wasn't going to use the bathroom, I went through the hall and surveyed what I could. I looked into all the rooms, surprisingly the doors were all open. Until I came to the end, there was a single closed door, I turned the knob to find it was unlocked. Quietly I stepped in shutting the door behind me, only to find it was a study. There were books everywhere, nothing wrong out of the ordinary. Then something caught my eye on the desk there were files with the Camren headquarters logo on the front, I was about to pick it up when the door opened and I stepped back.

I looked to see the person, I instantly made out those soft brown eyes. Of course of all people it had to be Camila. She had to find me here.

"Lauren?" she asked.

I ignored her and walked towards the door, I was about to pass when she stepped in front of me, blocking my way.

I was getting annoyed again, I felt my hands ball up into fists. How dare she do this.

"What are doing here?" questioned the smaller girl.

I didn't want her telling Shawn, so I replied coldly, "I was looking for the bathroom and got lost."

"No, what are you doing here, in this house?" asked Camila.

"I am here on official business that does not concern you, now move."

I thought she would move but she stood still, furrowing her eyebrows as if not convinced. I don't give a shit if she didn't believe me, seeing her made my blood boil. She was testing my patience at this point so I pushed her hard away from the door, she fell. I walked away nof bothered to help her. What the hell is her problem? As if her dad wasn't enough now I had to deal with her pathetic self.

I just hope I didn't hurt her when I pushed her... no what am I thinking, she deserves it.

After finishing my inspection, I left the mansion...something didn't add up. Today is Friday so tomorrow I am off duty. I don't really take the day off, I just do my job without the uniform. Unfortunately, according to my superior I apparently overwork myself, which is not true. I work just enough.

I got home frustrated with how slow the case was going. After so long trying to solve it, I am so close yet so far. I was greeted by my father, he tried to hug me but I brushed past him. I sat on the sofa holding my head, still thinking about the case.

"Lauren,you need to relax, stress is not good for you" advised Mike.

"I can't do that. I have alot on my mind and I don't expect you to understand" I scoffed.

"If you talked to me I would understand" he replied.

"Well I don't expect a cripple who's wife left him for money and a richer man!" I shouted. I didn't want to deal with this, I walked into my room and decided I needed to take a hot shower.

Camila's P.O.V

What the fuck is her problem?! She hasn't even spoken to me normally, not once. She ignores me like I am not even there, I can see she hates me. What have I ever done to her? I am so mad right now I could punch a wall... I turned around and punched aiming for the air but I heard someone scream in agony. Holy shit, I punched shawn in the face, his nose started bleeding.

"I am so sorry Shawn, I am so stupid, are you ok?" I asked, panicking. He just got up holding his nose confirming he was okay, which was clearly not true. I grabbed the medical kit and sat him down. I dabbed his nose, soaking up the blood and thankfully it was not broken. I was so focused on cleaning the wound, I didn't notice his eyes fall on me as he chuckled.

I looked up and our eyes met, he didn't look away instead he leaned forward. I knew this meant he was going in for a kiss, unsure, I leaned forward too. Our lips so close were so close, I closed my eyes, and then the most unexpected thing happened. Lauren's face came into my thoughts. What the hell? Why was I thinking of her? I opened my eyes and saw Shawn looking at me confused. I realized I had pulled away from him. Why the fuck did I do that?!

I was taken out of my scrambled thoughts as Shawn spoke,"Camila are you okay? I am sorry if that was going to fast, I shouldn't have tried to kiss you!."

I looked at him and said, "I am fine Shawn, and you don't have to be sorry, I-I am just not ready yet...."

He put his arms around me and stated, "I will wait till you are." and hugged me. I hugged him back, he was so warm and comfortable, I liked hugging him however I don't think I would ever want to kiss him.

After a while we parted and it was getting late so I decided to return home. My dad hated me staying away for too long. Why did I do that? Why did I think of her? What is wrong with me? I pondered as I entered my home, my mind corrupted with images of the rude but extremely attractive police officer.

Narrators P.O.V

"Come on we have to move faster!"

As Lauren and the other officers ran into the warehouse, they fired their weapons and the gunshot sounds echoed as bodies fell to the ground, and then a dead silence fell onto the night.