•21•

Maia watched in excitement and pure nerves as they pulled up to a small cafe that normally would have her bouncing to go into.

What if his mother doesn't approve? In her old pack, many older women prayed that Maia was not their sons mate, to avoid any trouble she might bring.
She was treated like a glass flower, set on a desk and forgotten about, collecting dust.

It didn't feel good, and she stressed that such a powerful wolf like Lucien would have a mother that disapproved of her because she was not an exceptionally strong wolf or Luna.
She may be quick, but it was simply in running away.

She ran away from everything.

Maia waited with bated breathe as Lucien stepped out of the truck that she'd normally consider far too large to be a necessity... if not for how much space she realized her mate indeed took up. Lucien moves quickly, with military precision she has only seen from old historically recreated dramas that her Noona obsessed over.
Simply to open her door and offer his hand to help her out.

When her feet hit the ground, her nerves spiked, and she was aware the scent of her own distress would most certainly reach Lucien.

A hand softly touched under her chin, and her head was coerced upward as dark eyes stared intensely into her own.

His gaze made her want to both melt and freeze.

"Why are you scared? I would never allow anything bad to happen to you, you know this right kitten?" The baritone voice did little to calm her nerves.

She was meeting his mother.

His mom.

Would she really destroy this?

Maia inwardly winced as Bambi's face filtered across her mind.
Why was she thinking about this now?

Maybe it was because she knew... that Lucien's words were a false comfort. He couldn't keep her safe from everything.
No one could.

"I'm okay" Maia whispered softly, giving a squeeze to his hand as he led her inside the vintage but orderly restaurant.
Lucien didn't seem completely convinced, but she was grateful he said nothing more on the subject.
She could only hope his mother-

"Is this her?!"

Maia was startled from her inner ramblings when a force plowed into her and nearly knocked her off her feet if not for the arms which wrapped around her keeping her up.
Maia gasped, and looked up to see a striking beauty.

Lean, tall, with short black curls and chocolate eyes.

She looked like she could be Lucien's sister.

"Oh my! Luci she is gorgeous!" The woman exclaimed, still holding the disgruntled Maia within her embrace as she turned her head towards her son who sported an annoyed expression.
Lucien growled, his white canines peaking out in a snarl at the woman which startled Maia further.

"Did you just growl at me?" She narrowed her eyes dangerously, a 'I dare you to do it again' tone obvious from the sentence.
Lucien scoffed, grunting with a nod, "I am the Alpha, and will not be referred to as Luci" His own eyes narrowed.

Maia briefly remembered her high school history lessons regarding the Cold War North America faced with Russia.

"Um..." finally uncomfortable with the dangerous air around her, Maia spoke up to grab the two individuals attention.
Lucien was first to act as he pried Maia from his mother's claws, pulling her into his own arms and carefully molding her against his side with an arm thrown protectively around her.