XXIX.The Moment Jackson Dean Daniels Healed A Part Of My Broken Heart

[A/N:] Vote and comment. It boosts my ego and makes me happy (HAHA)

So how many of you are torn up about what's been going on the last few chapters?

How many of you were surprised and even more heartbroken to finally find out that Bex and Nate were a smidge away from getting back together?

This chapter is a bit on the happier side because it introduces a very, very important character that we all know and adores (if you're a fan of the series and read the other books already. If you're new around here, don't worry—you'll learn to love him ;D)

With that, enjoy <3

——————————
XXIX.The Moment Jackson Dean Daniels Healed A Part Of My Broken Heart

A Year Later...

When I pull up in front of my childhood home after my second deployment, I feel a happiness that I haven't felt in a long time.

Pictures, Skype; just haven't been enough for me. Today, this very moment, I get to finally see in person with my own eyes—my baby boy.

Being able to hold him in my arms is what has me yanking my bag out of the trunk of the cab and nearly sprinting towards the front door.

With haste, I swing the door open, nearly knocking it into the wall but managed to catch it in time. As soon as I sit my bag down on the floor in the entryway, I hear my sister and mom in the living room as they talk in gentle, high pitched voices.

I walk into the room and my heart fills with a love that I never knew existed the moment I lay eyes on my son; Jackson Dean Daniels.

Jackson for my maternal grandfather and Dean for my dad. I know he'd be proud to be a grandpa if he was still here.

"Oh, look who's finally here sweetie. It's your daddy," Mom coos softly down at Jackson who's laying in her arms with a cute little chubby smile on his face.

I begin to feel nervous when Mom stands from the couch and walks towards me. Fuck, I've never held a baby before. What if I drop him?

Mom notices and gives me a reassuring smile as she begins to lift Jackson into my awaiting arms.

When his soft little body lays down across my arm while the other one supports his head, I look down at him and quietly admire every minute detail about him.

His eyes, his hair, every facial feature—it's mine. He's the spitting image of his old man and I couldn't be happier.

"He looks just like you did as a baby," Mom sighs as she gently caresses the back of his head, her fingers running through his soft, thick curls.

"He's beautiful," I choke and feel a single tear escape my eye.

I'm a dad. Fuck, I'm really a dad.

I know at first when Christine showed up telling me she was pregnant and after she's moved in before we got married; there was doubt in the back of my mind that she wasn't pregnant with my baby.

My mom, Heather, Ford, even a few people in town once the news caught wind about me getting an unknown girl pregnant—all voiced their suspicions about who the father really was.

Well, as I look down at the three-month-old baby in my arms, I know without a doubt that this little guy is mine. One hundred and ten percent.

"Hey buddy, I'm your daddy. I'm so happy to finally meet you. My little JD," I grin down at him and when he gives me a toothless smile while reaching up to touch the name patch on my camouflaged uniform jacket, my heart melts.