EPILOGUE: The Moment I Was A Thousand Miles From Nowhere But So Close To Her

Vote and comment like it's the last chapter of this book ;D

——————————
EPILOGUE:The Moment I Was A Thousand Miles From Nowhere But So Close To Her

Four Years Later...

"JD, Alex, knock that off," I grunt towards my son and his best friend as they spin around in the office chairs as fast as they can right in the middle of the station.

I was in the back grabbing some files for a case and left them upfront expecting them to behave until Mom got here to pick them up.

Little buttheads being typical boys that can't sit still for even a second.

They both laugh hysterically as they stop spinning and Alex tumbles to the ground like a drunk man. I smirk to myself at his goofiness.

Little Alex Cambridge reminds me so much of Ford that it's scary at times. But, I'm so thankful that God put a friend like that in my son's life. Someone he can always count on to keep his head on straight when he goes buck wild.

Theresa gasps and quickly stands from her chair as she rushes over to help him up, making sure he's not hurt.

"Are you okay baby?" she worries and Alex gives her a toothy grin. He's got one tooth missing up front and I smile as I glance over to JD who now has both of his top front teeth missing.

"Yes Mrs. Theresa, I'm okay. I'm a big strong boy," Alex boasts and flexes his little arm that has absolutely no muscle.

Theresa laughs lightly and ruffles his hair before she returns to her seat.

"I'm stronger," JD challenges Alex with a wiggle of his brows and flexes both of his arms.

"No you're not. I am."

"Wanna bet?" JD grunts and races over to Earl's empty desk and places his elbow on the center, preparing for an arm-wrestling match.

"Yeah!" Alex yells out with excitement and rushes to the opposite side of the table, grasping JD's hand in his.

Before Alex can count down, JD is already grunting with all his might as he moves his arm, slamming the back of Alex's hand on the wooden desk.

"Hey! I wasn't ready yet."

"So," JD shrugs, and I sit down at my desk. I look at him over the folder in front of me with a disapproving gaze and he rolls his eyes.

"Fine. This time be ready," he licks his lips and takes a ready-up stance again.

I go back to my work as I listen to Alex counting down to start the match. The glass door to the station opens up and Mike walks through with a smile on his face I haven't seen in years.

"Afternoon Sheriff. How was your lunch earlier?" Theresa smiles at him as he walks up and the whole world could be lit up by the gleam in his eyes alone.

"Wonderful, Theresa. Absolutely wonderful," he cheers as he leans on the counter.

He lowers his voice to a whisper as he continues to talk to her and when I notice her eyes widen with shock and she gasp, I wonder what's going on.

Mike puts his forefinger to his lips to shush her and she bounces in her seat, tucking her lips into her mouth to attempt containing herself.

I narrow my eyes with suspicion at the two of them and watch as he walks over to Earl and does the same thing. When he passes by me without telling me a damn thing, I scoff as I turn in my seat to watch him walk into his office.