XXIII.The Moment I Was Too Late

[A/N:] Remember to vote and comment <3

WARNING: Sadness up ahead. Honestly, the next few chapters are pretty heartbreaking because this is when Nate hits his lowest point.

Thank you for all the love and support not only for this story but for the entire series. I do this all for you, my fans. You've given me the opportunity to write stories that are heavy on my heart and mind that I feel just need to get out there for others to enjoy. So, thank you for that <3

——————————
XXIII.The Moment I Was Too Late

Eighteen Months Later...

"Are you nervous to be going back home?" Ford asks as our plane begins to descend into Jamestown's small airport.

"What do you think?" I raise a brow at him and he chuckles.

"I'm sure I know the answer to this but what's got you so nervous?"

Her. Bex Miller, is what has got me so damn nervous.

The fifteen months I was over in Iraq and the three months of extra training I did before I finally got to come home, she has been on my mind constantly. With the handful of hook-ups I had to try and get over her, which guess what—didn't fucking work; I would realize that she's the only one I want.

Bex Miller is the one and I'm done with this whole charade of me doing what I think is best for her and finally going to do what's best for us. We deserve a chance and I'm finally ready to give that to her.

"Bex, fuck it's always Bex," I sigh and he grins happily at me.

I think if anyone is excited more about me finally pulling my head out of my ass, it's my best friend. He's been patiently waiting for this moment, constantly throwing in reminders about how stupid I was over a year ago. I hate to admit it that he was right and I'll never say it out loud just to save face.

"So, what are you going to do first? Just do me a favor and film it," he retorts and I raise a brow at him as he quickly puts his hands up.

"—Unless it's screwing because I really don't want to see what things you do to that poor girl since she's like a little sister to me. But if it's you groveling down on your knees and kissing her feet, I have to see that," he boasts with laughter and the old man in front of us turns to glare at him since Ford has been like this the whole plane ride here.

"I don't know what I'm going to do, the first step is to go over to her house. Since we are here for a month before we get shipped to Texas for more training, I'm going to make the most of her being home before college for the time being," I smile to myself, looking forward to making it all up to her.

Fuck am I.

I'm going to do everything in my power to get her back in my arms where she belongs. I'm going to kiss her and never fucking stop. I'm going to make love to her so damn much that I'm sure I'll wonder when my dick is going to fall off.

I chuckle to myself at that last one, no doubt looking like a crazy person who's laughing at the voices in my head.

The one thing I'm definitely going to do once I get her back is something that's been on my mind for the last few months. Something that will change both of our lives forever.

"Ford, I'm—" I take a deep breath and when I open my eyes I know without a doubt that this is exactly what I want. More than anything.

"I'm going to ask Bex to marry me, man," I blurt out and Ford's eyes widen momentarily as the plane finally lands and comes to a stop at the terminal.