XIV. The Moment I Gave Up Simple

A/N: Remember to vote and comment <3

———
XIV. The Moment I Gave Up Simple

"Fuck," I curse as I hoist myself up onto the ledge of the roof from the unpredictable lattice attached to the side of Bex's two-story house. When I'm safely on the roof, I edge closer to her bedroom window and tap a couple of times before opening it.

I'd texted her five minutes ago that I was coming over to talk to her about something important so she left the window unlocked for me like she usually does whenever Heather or I sneak over when Mike is too busy watching old reruns of M.A.S.H or Giligan's island downstairs. Ninety percent of the time he passes out downstairs unless Bex ventures down there to shove him up the stairs to his bedroom.

When I climb through her window, Bex is sitting cross-legged on the end of her bed with her acoustic guitar in her hands as she gently strums, stops, and adjusts the tuning pegs to get the correct pitch of the strings. She glances up at me in the middle of a strum with a smile. I sit down on the bench in front of her keyboard and watch her tune her guitar quietly.

I pull out my phone and nonchalantly hold it up to snap a picture of her. She giggles to herself with a shake of her head, piquing my curiosity.

"What's so funny?" I smirk at her as I text Ford back about our plans tomorrow.

"You. You actually think you're being sly taking pictures of me," she looks up at me with amusement in her blue eyes.

"Who said I was trying to be sly? I wasn't trying to hide the fact I took a picture, Bex. I merely took a chance of you breaking my camera—" and before I can finish that statement, a throw pillow from her bed is being tossed full force at me. I duck just in time with a soft chuckle before it comes into contact with my head.

"You're such an asshole Nate," Bex narrows her eyes at me but a smile still remains on her perfect lips.

"Only for you," I tease her while scrunching my nose while I stand from my position and make my way over to her. I grab the acoustic guitar from her grasp and set it in its stand before I turn back towards her, reaching out my hand.

"What?" she looks up at me skeptically through her lashes and I roll my eyes at her before reaching further to grab her hand. I yank her off the bed and lead her towards the window. With one hand, I lift it and begin to climb through.

"Nate, I can't leave right now," Bex whisper yells at me while pulling back on my hand.

I turn to look over my shoulder at her and there's a look of anxiety lingering in her wide eyes. Bex, my little rebel who at the end of the day really does hate disappointing her father.

I turn around to face her in a crouch position while outside of the window, my hand still holding on tightly to hers. I give her my dimpled smile to ease her anxiety, the one that every other girl loves that I would use to my advantage with them but with this particular girl, it's different. She's not like every other girl, she's everything to me and since the moment I laid eyes on her in a different light, I've saved all of my genuine smiles for her and her alone.

"Come on Bex. I'm not taking you anywhere, just outside on the roof. It's a nice Spring night and I need to talk to you about something important—really important," I urge her and with pursed lips, she finally nods her head while climbing up onto her window sill with only a tank top and a pair of men's Spongebob Squarepants boxer shorts.

The same ones I'd given to her two years ago that Mom bought me but I'd refuse to wear. No way was I getting caught in the boy's locker room with Spongebob on the front of where my cock lies.