Chapter XI

3 weeks before CATS
I finished reading when I felt a hand at my shoulder. The feeling was interesting,it felt good. I knew who it was before I turned my head.

"You're done reading? It's almost six," he asked.

"Yeah I'm done," I replied,standing and stretching my work out muscles.

"Great,but you look exhausted Tara. We can do the final draft of the poem on Saturday afternoon."

"It's better to get it done soon,but thanks for the concern. I'll be fine Jason," I smiled at him then turned to pack my books.

Our relationship was more of a chill one,but I felt into my soul that Jason is in love with me. Ok,that's a bit far-fetched,but you know the smell of something by your nose,not by your lips. Get me?

"Lemme carry your bag. I don't really want you weighed down more than you are now,"he offered,and I gladly gave him the bag.

We walked in silence to his car. He opened the passenger door for me,then started the car. We left the library soon after.

The ride was silent,like many of these rides. But today was different because Jason reached for the radio and put up some hiphop music and funny enough it's the same type of music I enjoy. I nodded to some of the beats,holding myself from singing,I knew I can make a pathetic singer and rapper.

The song Hate me  came up next and I found myself singing before I stopped myself. We stopped at a traffic light and it coincided with Ellie Goulding's singing part. I closed my eyes and sang my heart out.

Hate me hate still tryin' to replace me
Chase me Chase me tell me how you hate me,
Erase me erase me wish you never dated me,
Lies tell me lies baby tell me how much you hate me.
(Elle Goulding and Juice WRLD-Hate me)

I opened my eyes and Jason grinned at me. He really looked amused,but when Juice's part came up,he did it pretty well.

"Ever gone through a heartbreak?"I asked him.

"Three so far."

Those are many for one person.

"You Tara?"

"Never and will never allow myself to,"I chuckled uneasily. I remembered the endless times my parents fought and in my childhood I swore to myself that I will never cause myself that kind of pain. A tear threatened to come out, but I trapped it in time.

"Wow...don't you know that those are part of life? Heartbreaks and any other breaks? Don't you know that's how light shines,only through the cracks?"he stated quietly as we stopped at the diner that we of late have been frequenting,and also to avoid dramatic meets with Candice's squad or any other student concerned.

We got to our favourite spot,near the windows. I removed my laptop as Jason gave the orders. Today I was super hungry and I was glad food was on the way.

This is how I spent my evenings everyday. But this particular one will change our lives forever.

The poem we finally drafted is a duet between the bully and the bullied(sounds familiar?)and how solutions can be approached. It's no longer a teacher's problem but a societal issue.

"Earth to you Tara? Where's your mind wandering off today?"

"Maybe it's the exams that's edging me," I lied.

"You can only do so much Tara,now let's finish up the poem. I can still drop you home and we can continue later."he insisted. He's the only one(apart from Westley and Kenzie)who can see past my smile and see the worn out tired me. I smiled at him for his genuine concern,trying to avoid looking directly at his eyes,or else I'll get lost in their greenness.