Chapter 30

I smile and walk over to the cement slab he's sitting on and sit by him. "What's up?" He asks. I sigh. I've never really quit anything before so I'm not entirely sure how it goes.

"I can't help you anymore," I say lightly. He looks at me confused. "With Kingpin, I cant be a superhero," I add. He starts shaking his head.

"No no, Stella, you've been a great help. You've been a great friend and help. You can't just bail. Remember," he pauses. "Remember the responsibility thing?"

"And remember how I didn't want this."

"Stella you can't just bail."

"Why not?" I ask him standing up. "Peter I can't keep showing up to my apartment with injury after injury. It's starting to worry my dad."

"Did you tell him that you are-

"I told him I got mugged and now he checks on me all the time. We are starting to bond again. He's really worried that one day I'm not gonna come home, and frankly I'm starting to feel that way too," I say sadly sitting back down.

"Stella," Peter says after a small silence. "Are you quitting because of your dad, or are you quitting because your scared?" I look up and swallow hard rubbing the webs wrapped around my wrist.

"Peter I'm terrified," I say finally looking at him. "I didn't realize it until I woke up on a rooftop getting webbed up because I couldn't go to the hospital in the clothes I was wearing, but I'm terrified that I'm gonna get hurt. Yeah, that's extremely selfish of me, but this isn't just about me. This is about my Dad. I'm all he has," I explain trying not to burst into tears. "If I die trying to save the world, who's gonna be there to remind him to come home every once and awhile? Who's gonna remind him to eat?" I wipe my face as tear slips out, but I don't break eye contact with Peter. "I can't live like this Peter," I add. "I can't willing go to my grave." I unzip my backpack and pull out the suit. Peter looks down at it and takes it from me. I sigh and stand up zipping my bag up and intending to leave as I walk to the edge of the building.

"Do you think I'm not terrified to?" He asks me. I turn back to him and he clutching the suit in his hands.

"You are, but you care too much about the world to let it sink in. Like I said before, I'm selfish, you aren't."

"I can be selfish too Stella," he shouts which shocks me. "You don't think being Spider-Man is selfish, but it is. I feel powerless like this, as Peter Parker, but when I'm Spider-Man," he pauses. I noticed he's stood up somewhere in his talking. "When I'm Spider-Man I feel like no one can hurt me, or taunt me. I feel untouchable and admired. Saving the world, and the neighborhood, that's awesome, but that's only part of the reason I stay Spider-Man. I do it for everyone, but mostly it's for me. Why do you think even MJ can't get me to stop?"

"I think one day, when you find someone you really love and care about, you'll realize they deserve more respect than you going out and being Spider-Man," I say a little more attitude in my tone. He sighs. I feel him a lot closer to me but I ignore it. Instead I focus on sirens driving down the street. A car speeding in front of them. "Duty calls, Spider-Man," I say dryly as he glances towards the sirens. I turn around and walk down the flight of stairs and as I get to the bottom I see a red blur swing above me. I sigh and walk to get my nails done, for real.

"And you know I don't even like this guy, but somehow it feels like I broke up with him," I finish to the nail lady. I had explained my situation in as little detail as possible so I'm sure she's just confused.

"He not worth it honey," she says to me. "All done!" She says excitedly right after. I look at my nails and smile at the emerald green and gold crystal mani. I get up and leave the place with just enough time to do my hair, makeup, and put my dress on. I start to think about how I still have to see Peter later. Maybe Jason and I will ditch right after pictures so we won't stay long. I hope that plan works.