Chapter 3

I run into the hallway and see Peter pacing back and forth. "Parker," I say.

"Tell me how you can read my mind? And why can I read yours?" He asks.

"I don't know," I say lightly. "Parker, I-

"This is crazy. You know then! You know everything," he says running a hand through his hair. 

"Parker you need to calm down," I say.

"Calm down? Calm down!" He says louder. 

"Shhh," I say looking around.

"How can I calm down when a girl I don't even know can read my mind?"

"It's not all the time," I say. "Only when I focus a lot," I add.

"She's psycho," he thinks.

"Parker I'm not crazy!" I say. He moves his arms a lot and points at me.

"See see, that's not normal," he says.

"Well I haven't been normal for awhile," I say. "Kind of like how you aren't normal either."

"I told you I'm a cos-

"Parker come on! I'm not an idiot. I can tell you are Spider-Man. You aren't a cosplayer. You swung up on that roof," I say.

"Then you are hoodie person," he says.

"I never said that," I say quickly. 

"You know I'm not stupid either, Stella," he says crossing his arms.

"Listen Parker-

"It's Peter."

"I know," I say after a slight pause. "Peter, I don't know how I can talk to you without moving my mouth. I don't want to be able to do that. I would honestly just like to be normal again," I say. I lean against a locker and sigh. "I am hoodie girl," I say looking at him.

"I knew it!" He says moving his arms again. "So you are a superhero now?" He says excitedly. I shake my head.

"No Peter, I'm not a superhero. I'm not going out to join the Avengers. I'm not going after Kingpin. And I'm not going to go out and save the world," I explain. He shakes his head and gets in his bag.

"Do you know what this is?" He asks holding up his Spider-Man mask.

"A cosplay costume," I say sarcastically.

"No, it's a-" he gets cut off by the bell and he quickly puts his mask away as people start to pour out of the classrooms. I start to walk away but he stops me. "Stella," he says grabbing my arm lightly. I see MJ right as Peter takes me outside.

"Where are we going?" I ask him.

"Hold on to me," he says. I look at him confused.

"What?" I ask as he grabs my waist. I suddenly feel us fly up. We are swinging! Holy shit! I wrap my arms around his neck as we swing to the top of some building. He lets me down and tries to step away from me, but I don't let go. I open my eyes and look at him. I step back quickly. "Sorry," I say. "Don't do that," I add.

"Will you listen to me now," He asks.

"Aren't you supposed to be awkward? You aren't supposed to just pick up a girl like that. You should-

"Stella!" He says loudly. I flinch, I'm still not used to overbearing loud sounds. "You have to realize the responsibility you've been given," he says. 

"Given?" I ask. "Don't you mean cursed?"

"Cursed?"

"Peter has is ever occurred to you that not everyone wants to be a superhero?" I ask.