Chapter 19

I sit on the bus by myself. Betty has already claimed her seat next to Ned as the other kids pile on. MJ sits near the front as far away from me in the back as possible. To my surprise Brad Davies swoops in and sits next to her before Peter can. Peter huffs and Brad shrugs. "Sorry man, but I called this seat," he says. I snicker a bit at the fact Brad Davies is trying to steal Peter's girl and she's worried about me. I lean down and put my knees up on the seat in front of me.

"Come on Parker sit somewhere!" Flash yells from the door steps. Peter looks around the bus as people say the seats taken by someone they are waiting for. He glances at me and looks back at MJ who doesn't seem to be interested. He quickly sits down next to me and sighs. He leans out in the aisle and try's to get a view on Brad and MJ. I have AirPods in knowing the bus ride would be longer cause of traffic and loud cause of people. I sigh not wanting to deal with another panic attack and close my eyes. I feel Peter's hand touch mine briefly. I look down at it.

"Sorry I didn't mean to," He says sitting up. MJ laughs a bit at something Brad said. "What the hell is so funny?" Peter asks himself.

"Oh Brad! You are just so much funnier than Peter. I bet you really hate Stella too since she let you get punched in the face by a nerd like Ned and turned you down for the dance tee hee," I say pretending MJ talks like a southern belle. Knowing full well she doesn't.

"Will you shush. I'm trying not to get in trouble," Peter says putting his hand back near mine. I don't look or move this time.

"You need to relax," I say as the bus driver honks his horn. I groan lightly closing my eyes. Peter suddenly looks over at me. My music is blaring but it doesn't seem to be helping. He looks around and see no one is looking at us and lightly puts his hand on top of mine. I open my eyes and try not to notice.

"Focus," He says lightly. He takes my phone which is near my hand and turns my music down. "I don't think that helps." I shake my head not wanting to look at him. I just keep looking around. I feel his thumb running over the back of my hand I look down to make sure he is actually doing it and it's not phantom feeling from MJ or whoever I last ran into. I watch his thumb run back and forth focusing only on that. The noises are back to a dull buzz. I'm worried what will happen if he stops though. I see him look around every now and then to make sure no one notices him calming me down. I sigh as he looks back up to MJ and Brad. I feel his thumb get more aggressive with the pacing and he shifts a bit.

"Y'all are jealous people," I say to him looking back out the window. The city is bustling with people and cats everywhere. Why do we bother taking a bus anywhere?

"That's, that's Brad Davies. He's surrounded by girls all the time. He has every thing in his favor to come and steal my girlfriend," Peter explains. "He's the best looking guy in the whole school." I roll my eyes. And look back down. No matter how jealous Peter gets he hasn't stopped his thumb or removed his hand. He even making figure eights now. It's relaxing.

"There are people hotter than Brad Davies," I say. Peter looks at me like I'm stupid. "Yes really Parker. I don't find him that attractive," I state as we make eye contact. He shakes his head.

"Well you don't count." He says leaning back. The bus driver honks his horn again and I flinch a little bit. Peter's figure eights get slower as if to help me focus more. "He is award he's doing it then?" I question myself.

"Of course I'm aware, Stella," he says looking down. "It's helping isn't it?" He asks lightly. I look at him and nod lightly. He looks around again and still no one is paying attention. Flash and Sabrina are too busy making out in the seat across from us to notice anything. Mr. Harrington is too busy trying to get The bus driver to calm down to notice half the couples making out. The bus jolts forward and then honks the horn again. The bustle starting getting louder. I look down and Peter's hand has moved. He back in the aisle trying to get Ned's attention. Ned pulls away from Betty and looks at Peter. "What are Brad and MJ talking about?"

"Peter I don't know," Ned says not wanting to deal with Peter's shit.

"Probably how you weren't man enough to stick up for sitting next to your girlfriend so now you are stuck in the back between Stella and Flash," Betty chimes in.

"Harsh," Peter says. I groan a little louder as the bus driver start yelling some cuss words and honking the horn many, many times. Peter's hand reaches back for mine and I slap it away as Flash has pulled away from Sabrina to look around and stream. Peter acts like he was stretching which isn't as smooth as he think and I roll my eyes. I think for a minute then decide my best bet is to remove myself from this bus. I can handle the city in open air not closed spaces like this. I stand up and jump over Peter. Controlling my jump so it doesn't look bizarre. "Where are you going?" Peter asks. I walk up front and open the door.

"Mrs. Carmichael?" Mr. Harrington asks. "Where are you going?"

"The museum, it's not far," I say. "I signed up for a field trip." I say walking off the bus. Mr. Harrington gathers the other kids and follows suit. I wait to walk with everyone else hoping to walk by Peter but MJ snatched him up pretty quick. Pushing me out of the way. She grabs his hand and I feel as though he grabbed mine. I sigh and walk behind Betty and Ned all the way to the museum.