Chapter 25

The next day at school is another dress up day, it's supposed to match out theme which is Wizard of Oz. Betty thought she was so clever for coming up with it. The slogan is "there's no place like HOMEcoming". It's actually pretty cute. So it's a good old fashion Wizard of Oz day. I knew there'd be a million girls as Dorthey which is typical so I went with Lion. I even teased my hair so it looks wild and untamed. I take the rooftops to school just to help with the look. I walk into school and sure enough Betty is dressed as Dorthey by my locker. I'm surprised to see Ned as a poorly put together scarecrow. They look cute though. "You guys look nice," I say.

"Oh see!" Betty exclaims hitting Ned's arm. "I told you Peter should of been tin man with us and MJ could've been Toto," Betty says huffing and crossing her arms.

"Peter doesn't dress up," Ned says.

"And I don't think it's too priority for MJ either," I add. Betty shakes her head and points to MJ's locker. She's in a all black outfit with a witches hat. "She didn't do the green skin," I say dryly. Peter walks through the doors limping a little. I tilt my head and he does the same when he sees MJ. "What's the deal with Parker?" I ask knowing he doesn't normally have a limp. I look at Ned who also seems confused.

"Uhhh I'm not sure," he says. "Excuse me my love," he says to Betty rushing over to Peter and MJ. Betty swoons as he goes away clutching her books to her chest.

"Isn't he the cutest?" She's asks me. I don't respond as I watch Peter talk to Ned and MJ. MJ doesn't seem very happy and she slams her locker and storms away.

"MJ," Peter says loudly and attempts to run after her. The limp is really bad and Flash doesn't make it easier as he trips Peter.

"Walk much dickwad?"flash asks as people laugh. MJ has already gone into the bathroom as Ned helps Peter up. I shut my locker and walk with Betty to class. I let Betty go in front of me and stop Peter before he goes in.

"Hey Parker," I say lightly he winces as I grab his shoulder and moves his bag as I quickly remove my hand. "What happened to you?"

"Haven't you seen the news?" He asks. I shake my head. "Spider-Man tried to stop another robbery," he says. I cross my arms. "He wasn't successful," he adds.

"Are you hurt?" I ask. "Like, seriously? Is anything broken?" He shakes his head. "Peter why didn't you call me?" I ask looking around knowing the bell is about to ring.

"I wanted to, but-" he's cut off by the bell and he limps his way into the classroom we are standing by. As we watch the morning announcements MJ tosses Peter a note. Peter reads it and sighs. I try to focus on the lunch menu Betty is rattling off but I can't help but wonder if MJ is mad at Peter for doing his job. Peter folds the note back up obviously with a reply because he taps MJ on the shoulder with it. She grabs it and reads it.

"Now let's give a big Tiger ROAR for our football team that they can bring us a victory tomorrow ready," Betty says on the TV and causes everyone to Roar very, very loudly. I feel my ear swell up with sound and Flash just keeps roaring over and over. The announcements sign off and there is a horrible beeping from the tv saying it's discontinued. I try to listen to Mr. Harrington but I can't focus with everyone else breathing around me. I even start to pick up on horns honking out in the city streets. I run my head as it starts to hurt and swallow hard. I am not going to have another fit. Betty comes into the room and sits in her seat in front of me the door slamming hard behind her. I miss what Mr. Harrington said but everyone starts moving their desks in groups and it's a horrible sense of squeaks and chairs crashing into each other. I blink slowly as the lights seem so bright and I groan to myself. Betty has moved her desk to face me and Ned is moving his next to me. I drop my hands near my side and start making shapes on my legs to try and stop everything. I feel someone my hand and move it away from my leg. Their thumb starts making shapes on the back of my hand. I look and see it's Peter. I look around and see no one behind us but Ned and Betty are right in front of us. Then I realize it's under the desk and no would even notice unless they are looking for it. I sigh and come back to reality as I see Betty's lips moving.

"Stella," She says. "Hello! Thoughts on the book?" She asks. I'm back to the normal buzzing but I have to stay focused on Peter's hand making shapes on mine or just moving back and forth.

"What book?" I ask. Ned sighs with Betty.

"Stella sweetie weren't you listening?" Betty asks. I shrug. "We were supposed to read the first three chapters to Great Gatsby?" I nod remembering now.

"Right," I say. "I didn't do that. Y'all wanna clue me in," I add. Ned slams the book against his head in disappointment.

"Peter did you read?" Betty asks. He seemed to be zoned out and looks up and nods quickly.

"Yeah yeah yeah, it was a great read real quick. Love the plot," he says. I must have lost track of what he was doing cause I feel his fingers running up and down my forearm. Maybe he doesn't really realize either he seems to be interested in Brad and MJ's group. "She didn't want to be in a group with us," Peter says to Ned.

"Well Brad sort of stole her away," Betty says. Ned looks at her as if saying she isn't helping. I keep watching Peter's hand as it goes from my hand and back up my arm then back down again. Almost like he's petting me with his finger tips. I then realize my shirt is a suede material and rather soft. That's probably why he's doing this. He literally is petting me.

"Peter," I think. He glances at me then goes back to MJ. "Stop petting me!" I demand. He looks down quickly and moves his hand away from me. I open the book I was supposed to read and flip through the pages.

"What is it about MJ that Brad likes so much anyway?" Betty asks.

"Why wouldn't you like MJ?" Peter asks. "She's smart, funny, beautiful." I move my other arm up on my desk. With every word he uses to describe MJ I feel a pain in my chest.

"She's also dry and dark," Betty says.

"She's a realist. She sees the world for what it is which really is dry and dark," Peter states defending her.

"Look if you want her in your group I can switch? Sure Brad and Jason annoy the shit out of me but I'm sure she'd really appreciate it," I suggest.

"Aww but then I won't have my best friend with me," Betty says sadly.

"You got Ned," I say. "I'll go ask if she wants to switch," I say gathering my stuff.

"No," Peter says lightly. I look at him confused. "I mean, uh, no one asked you to do that."

"Consider it my grand gesture of kindness," I say getting up. "Hey MJ you wanna switch. I think you'd be better among friends," I say. Brad Davies gives me a look like I'm ruining everything.

"Um, okay," MJ says getting up. She seems surprised that I would offer. She bumps me as she goes and I think nothing of it until feel a hand on my leg. I go to swat either Brad or Jason away but there is nothing there. I look over and see Peter's hand resting on MJ's leg. I've been so careful to not run into anyone and even a light bump does it now?