Chapter 6

I walk into class as if I haven't been gone half the day and sit in my usual seat. "Nice if you to join us Carmichael." I hear from the teacher at the front of the room. I nod and pretend to get my book out for math. How could I possibly focus on math when everyone is just looking at me. The bell rings for lunch and I know I'm about to be swarmed. Sure enough Betty turns around so quickly I thought her head was going to screw off. 

"Where were you?" She asks. I get up and walk with her to lunch. 

"I was just skipping for a little bit, nothing major," I say. 

"I can't believe you skipped by yourself, Flash said he tried calling you and got nothing," she says. 

"I wouldn't answer a phone call from Flash anyway," I say simply. I put my stuff down at the table and go up to eat. We walk passed Peter and Ned on our way to the lunch line. 

"Hey Betty," Ned says nicely. She smiles at him and walk ahead of me. I walk slowly behind and make eye contact with Peter. 

"Where were you today? I heard stuff but I didn't really catch anything," Peter thinks. I sigh as I grab a tray and some food. It's really hard being normal and having Spider-Man talk to you in your head. 

"I was ditching, that's all," I say sitting down by Betty. I watch him sit down next to MJ and he put a hand on her knee, but she pushes it away. "Did you, um, ask MJ to the dance?" I ask him trying to pretend I'm paying attention to my own table. 

"Nah, I'm still sort of walking on eggshells with her. We have a date tonight so hopefully that will fix the rumors she's heard," Peter says. I don't want to get into the rumors with him. I know exactly what people are saying. That's why I am trying to keep my distance from him. 

"Anyway, Stella you are coming to my party tomorrow right?" Flash asks me with a smug smile. 

"Yeah," I say nodding. "I wouldn't miss it." His smile gets bigger and he nods. 

"Cool, cool. I'll be sure to look for you. I'll be DJing a lot throughout the night, but I think I can make time for you," Flash says. Jason starts to snicker to himself. I look at him and unscrew my water. 

"Something funny Jason?" I ask him. He shake his head. 

"No, nah," he pauses composing himself. "Just real excited for the party."

"Ugh I'm not," Betty says. I look at her confused. "Word of it got out so now Ned stopped me in the hall today to say he may stop by. He just can not take a hint," Betty says frustrated. 

"Ugh Betty!" Flash says. "If your stupid ex is gonna be there that means penis Parker is going." He rubs his head. "I can't have those two ruining my party. It has to be perfect," Flash adds. 

"Why do you let Parker get to you so much?" I ask him. 

"He just acts like he knows everything and is a prick," Flash says. 

"Do you are mad because Parker will always be the smartest one in the room?" I ask. Everyone is looking at me now. Shoot I'm defending him, again. "I mean you are right it's ridiculous, but why don't you just ignore him like the rest of us do?" 

"Cause he's always around, but yet not there at all," Flash explains. 

"You sound like a crazy person," I say taking a drink of my water. The bell rings and I realize I didn't eat much. I grab the apple off my tray and throw the rest away I take a bite and head to class.

I walk around the gym with Betty as she goes on and on about how she doesn't like Ned anymore. I look over and see Ned and Peter doing the core exercises. Ned is spotting Peter, but it doesn't seem like Peter needs it. "Looking good Parker," Coach says to him. He realizes he should struggle more and pretends for awhile. I'm not really paying attention to Betty as I start thinking about this morning. Should I at least tell Peter about it so Spiderman, or someone can go take care of it?