Chapter 14

The music is loud but not as loud as before. I already feel warm from walking in the door. I walk to the kitchen and get some jungle juice. I take a drink and feel a burning in my throat. There must be some fireball in there. I walk around looking for Betty and end up in the main room where I make eye contact with Flash. I hold up my hand to wave and he stops the music and grab a microphone. "Everyone! Everyone can I have your attention," he says. Everyone looks and he clears his throat. I see Betty come in from another room in her swimsuit top and a pair of sweatpants. She covers her mouth trying not to laugh waving to me lightly. "Stella Carmichael!" Flash continues.

"Oh god," I think.

"Fashionable late, but not forgotten."

"I'm really about to reject this kid in front of everyone he knows."

"Please," he holds up his phone which I know is streaming. "Give me the honor of going to the homecoming dance with me?" He says it more like a statement but it's definitely a question. I feel everyone stare at me.

"You gonna respond?" I hear Peter ask. I try not to seem like I heard him but I am looking around to try and find him. I look out at the patio door where the pool is and see him in his Spider-Man suit up on the fence. I lightly smile and come back to reality.

"Um," I say laughing a bit. I'm not trying to be mean but I can't help myself. "Flash, this is so sudden. You're great," I pause. "But," I look up and Flash looks so sad it looks like I shot him in the heart. I can hear people start to chuckle.

"Say no. Say no," I hear Peter think. I don't know if he wants me hear, but I do.

"No," I say finally. Everyone starts laughing and poor Flash looks around. I walk closer. "I'm sorry," I say into the microphone.

"Screw you anyway," Flash says. "Sabrina Melgrass?" He asks into the mic. She waves. "You wanna go with me?" She nods. Everyone cheers. He smiles and starts the music back up. Everyone goes back to the party and I look out the window. Spider-Man is gone.

"Oh my god!" Betty says getting in front of me. "Where have you been?" She asks.

"I've been around, you didn't see me?" I ask her, just pure lies out of my mouth. "I've actually been looking for," I stop as I notice MJ reading a book and tapping her foot to the music. "MJ's here?" I ask.

"Yeah!" Betty says loudly. She's clearly had a few drinks. "I invited her and I guess Peter totally bailed on her. She said she'd have a good laugh after I told her what Flash was gonna do," Betty adds.

"She been here long?" I ask. Betty shakes her head.

"Maybe an hour. She's actually been pretty cozy with Brad Davies, of all people right?" Like clock work Brad comes over with a drink in both hands and offers one to MJ. She's takes it putting her book down.

"Wow, that's," I'm at a lose for words as Brad laughs at something she says. MJ looks confused by his laughter but follows suit. "Where's Harry?" I ask Betty.

"He left," Ned says coming up behind and taking Betty by the waist.

"He did?" I ask. Betty nods.

"Said He was going to the bathroom, he never did come back," Betty says. "We were hanging out with him and this girl Cindy," Betty adds.

"Cindy Moon? From the academic team?" I ask. Betty nods.

"Yeah didn't know you knew her."

"I know of her I don't really talk to her."

"She's really cool," Ned says. I nod.

"Betty could you go get me another drink?" I ask her. Betty nods and stumbles out of Ned's grip. He looks confused to why I sent her away.

"I heard Parker ditched MJ. Why what was he doing?" I ask Ned.

"He was sick," Ned says quickly. It never occurred to me that Ned has no idea that I know. I figured he had some inclination.

"Then why is MJ mad at him?" I ask.

"What do you care? I thought you didn't like Peter?" Ned literally has no idea. I decide to drop it as Betty comes back with two drinks and hands me one.

"Neddy Bear let's dance!" She says grabbing Ned by the arm and pulling him to the dance floor. I'm left alone again and decide to start being fun. I take my jacket off and dance to the music.