Chapter two

Three months later.
I was mildly surprised that me and my mismatch friends had actually survived, mostly. We had lost; Daniel - she lost it and ran straight into a horde, Alisha- she was killed by a rogue that said it thought she was bitten, and Jake- he couldn't take the pressure and shot himself in the head. But we had joiners as well, Jai, Emma and Wilson. They had proved useful, but as a group of seven (including me) we were hard to hide, so we often split into groups of three and four. Group 1: me, Jai, Wilson and Felicity, group 2: Emma, Caitlin and Georgia. We had a wide range of weapons too, swords, guns, knifes.
I had no belief that humanity would bounce back, and I didn't want it to. I always knew that it would be the result of its own destruction, either by burning out the resources or creating some illness that zombified the world. I knew this was the end, and I wasn't going to deny it.

"No! We can't run from everything we see, we need to hunt!" I yelled at Emma, who was a former vegetarian,
"We can just eat plants and berries, there is no need to kill anything!" She argued,
"What if you make us eat poison!? Have you thought of that?" I retorted,
"I know my plants." She said, sounding slightly offended,
"Well, it's not like you've lived in the bush all your life, is it? There would be plants that look harmless, then BAM! Your dead." I can't believe she was being so... Hard headed, "ALL. BECAUSE. OF. YOU." I said,
"Ummmm, guys, you should probably stop!" Warned Georgia,
"Why?!" Emma and I asked in unison, a chorus of out of time moans answered us,
"Into the trees! I commanded. Jai was reaching for a branch hardly low enough for even me to jump for, "I'll lift you." I offered, "No! I'll be ok- ow!" I kicked him in the leg so he wouldn't struggle and tossed him up onto the lowest branch,
"Go!" he was obviously frustrated but climbed up anyway. I glanced over my shoulder to see that a large horde of zoms were heading my way, I looked around to see anybody lingering on the ground, but there wasn't so I sprinted for the closest climbing tree. It was a tough scramble up but I looked down at the grey, decaying bodies milling between the trunks and remembered how gruesome it was to see them rip someone to pieces. I silently thanked the higher forces that I wasn't down there still, their clumsy stumbling didn't disappear when they went into predatory mode but in a concentrated am out the sheer terror would melt your brain. I knew that zombies had deadened nerves, had poor eyesight and felt no pain, but they were the most deadly thing I've seen in action right in front of me.
We were in the trees for at least ten minutes when Georgia lost her grip and slammed into the ground with a loud thump, the zombies advanced, lumbering towards her with slow, laboured steps. Georgia screeched as one of the leading zombies lunged and caught her arm, by the time blood had splattered on her face from defending herself I was about five metres from her. I sliced a zombies head off with my sword, it's blood spraying my clothes as it's decapitated head rolled from its shoulders. A zombie was pinning Georgia to the ground with both arms, I was only two metres away now, but there were still plenty of zombies in my way. I looked around to find I was the closest one to Georgia, so I charged forwards, avoiding as many zombies as I could, the zombie tussled with Georgia but I knew it had the upper hand, they were weak in just about every way, but they had enhanced strength. I was there just in time to see the zombie bite down on Georgia's throat, blood tricked down her neck in small, thin streams. I snapped the zombies neck with a quick twist and slit it's throat. I saw in the corner of my eye Caitlin struggling not to vomit at the sight of blood, Georgia's body convulsed and twisted, combating the poison in the Zombies saliva, then she lay still and moaned slowly, mournfully, as if her zombie-self was sad about the loss of something so precious, a life. Something had to be done, so I plunged my sword through Georgia's heart.

#######################

Sorry it's so short the other chapters will be longer, from Mushroomyowl05!