Chapter 5

"What the freak?!" I saw a slide show of emotions and felt kinda bad but I'm not sure that I returned the feelings, I assessed the chance of me getting away with running and decided that was a good option, even though I had to get the roughly fifty kilogram roo (Aussie slang for kangaroo, weight probably really un realistic, get over it) back to camp before him, my legs were longer too. I grabbed the roo's tail and ran, it bounced against my knees as I realised fifty kilos wasn't that much for me to carry, sure I'd carried thirty kilos of person before but really, it's a roo. I didn't get very far before I felt my catch being pulled from my shoulder and I turned to see jai grasping the head of the roo. "Please," he begged, "don't go." I had no choice but to leap for the low branch of the closest tree, it was a snow gum so I got white slide marks up the side of my black jeans (they raided houses) as I swung my feet up into the tree. I grabbed another branch and climbed higher, I looked down to see my catch on the ground at a bad angle meaning I had broken one of its legs in my scramble up the tree and jai jumping at the lower branches. He finally grabbed hold of one and began to climb, I was at the top and saw more of the city, it was Canberra. Amazed that we had travelled in this direction I forgot jai was just below me. "Hey, why were you so desperate to get away?" Jai asked, CRAP!, he scared me and I nearly fell from my perch, "I like to avoid awkward situations," I tried to see a way out, there was a tree probably two metres away but the fall would be fatal if I landed it wrong, did I mention I was afraid of heights.

My stomach churned as I ran towards the gap, I leapt, feeling the weightlessness and my insides went to my throat. I reached for the branches of the next tree and landed it with a swing, my hands stung from the rough bark but it wasn't that painful. "Are you really that desperate!?" Jai yelled from the other tree, I knew he wouldn't dare jump that gap, I barely made it. "It's because I like you too," I admitted, he looked, well I can't really describe it, because I scrambled down the tree before I saw his face, grabbed the roo and ran for camp. Tears slipped down my cheeks as I realised what this could mean, the lowest branches whipped my face as I ran blindly through the bush. I hit the ground hard as my feet slipped from under me and I struggled to breathe. I'd fallen down a gully, a thin stream ran through some rocks and the sides were steep and high. I felt a bit dizzy but I needed a drink, so I crawled towards the stream and drank. Birds shrieked over head as the sunset and I blacked out.
~#~#~#~#~#~~#~##~###~~##~#~#~#~#~##~#~#~#~#~#~##~#~
Okay, sorry this chapter and the last one are so short but it's hard to write chapters that are the right length. I hope you are enjoying my book and please:

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW ME

Thanks anyways people
-Kate