Chapter 65 - Heartbreak

A month has passed since finding out we're having a baby girl and Zay has already gone crazy buying her things. Every afternoon when he arrives home from work, he has something new for her room or for her like a stuffed bear.

My pregnancy has been moving along perfectly with no issues to date. We have a perfectly healthy baby girl on the way. Zay has still been working Monday to Friday at the garage with Mom and Austin, while I study from home, look after the house and spend time with Shay and Easton who is now a one-year-old.

Shay also announced she is finally pregnant with their second child. They haven't found out the sex yet, but she is praying for a little girl this time as they're planning on stopping at two children.

It's another lazy day at home and I'm sitting in front of my laptop still dressed in my nightgown when the doorbell rings. I look at the time and its only lunchtime, I'm not expecting anyone today but it's probably Shay as she gets lonely when Lane is off helping dad for the day.

I swing the door open only to find my mother standing there with tears pouring down her cheeks. "Mom." I say in pure shock "Oh my god, what it is? What's wrong?"

I take her and bring her inside closing the door behind us. I help her down onto the couch and she sits down sobbing into her hands. "Mom please." I sit next to her and take her hand in mine. "What's wrong, is it Dad? Zay? Lane?" I question, my heart rate picking up as my body shakes with panic.

"No." she shakes her head and dries her eyes for a moment. "Honey, I'm sorry to put this on your right now, but I have to, there is no easy way or right time." She takes in a breath "I had a phone call from your grandfather this morning and Grandma passed away early this morning."

"What?" I ask in shock "But how? why? she wasn't sick." I speak quickly as the tears begin to roll down my cheeks

"She hasn't been well for the last week and a half but she didn't want to worry anyone so she didn't say anything, when dad woke up this morning she had passed away in her s-sleep." Mom begins to sob again.

Crying just as hard I take her into my arms and stroke her back and hair. "It's okay Mom, we're going to be okay."

A moment later the front door unlocks and opens once more, Zay, Dad, Lane, and Shay as well as Easton all enter the house. Shay sits Easton down with his toys, while Dad makes his way to Mom and sits down next to her pulling her into his arms. She holds onto him, sobbing uncontrollably as he tries to comfort her.

Zay does the same, he sits down next to me and pulls me into his arms. "I'm so sorry baby." He whispers as he strokes my hair. My breathing picks up and it becomes harder to breathe. "Shhhh baby, it's okay." He continues to stroke my hair. "Please try and take some breaths." He places his hand on my heavily pregnant stomach. Remembering what I feel the baby feels I try my best to calm myself, taking long breaths as he rubs my stomach in a soothing motion.

♥️

The afternoon goes on much the same, none of us are really talking, we're just lost in thought, Mom hasn't been able to stop crying and dad is completely helpless as to what he can do for her, he can't stop the pain she's feeling.

"Should we go and be with Granddad?" I break the silence.

"Alex, Star and the kids are with him at the moment, he is arranging the funeral but asked that we don't all rush there," Dad informs as he holds Mom.

"I still think we should go, even if he says he doesn't want us there I'm sure he does."

"Maybe, your right." Dad nods "Let me go and make a call." He nods at Lane to take over his position with Mom as he stands up. Lane sits and pulls Mom into his arms, much the same way dad had and holds her, as she pulls herself together as best she can.

Standing up I make my way into the kitchen and get out some ingredients from the fridge to make us some sandwiches and turn the kettle on to make us some coffee.

Zay enters the kitchen and makes his way over as I begin making the sandwiches. "Here, let me do that." He says as he places his hand on mine in an attempt to take the butter knife and take over.

"I can do it myself." I snap and snatch my hand away from him. I look up at him and see the confusion on his face and burst into tears, dropping the knife to the bench. "Oh my god, I'm sorry." Tears begin to stream down my face once more as I take a step back from him.

What is happening to me? I've never snapped at him before, he is just trying to help me, that wasn't cool at all.

"Baby, it's okay." He assures me as he takes a step closer. "You're hurting right now, I'm sorry I didn't mean to push or overstep."

"But you didn't, you were just trying to help," I say still in shock with myself.

"It's fine, I'm fine, no hard feelings okay." He laughs softly and holds on his hand. "Please baby, come."

I take his hand and he pulls me back into his arms pressing his lips to my head. "I'm here okay, whenever you need me, whenever you're ready to talk, I'm here."

I nod my head as I snuggle into him. He rubs my back before speaking once more. "I'll leave you to making the sandwiches."

"Stay," I tell him, as I pull back and look up at him. "Will you stay and help me, please?"

"Of course." He nods.

We begin making the sandwiches and coffee when Shay makes her way in. "Do you need some help?" She asks quietly.

"Sure, if you'd like." I nod.

"What do I do?" She asks she begins buttering the bread. "Lane hasn't shown any emotion so far and I know he's hurting so badly."

"I'm honestly not sure, he'll show his emotion when he's ready I suppose, knowing him he is trying to keep it together like dad always does and then when it becomes too much he'll explode."

"I don't want him to explode, I want him to talk to me."

"I know, but-" I'm cut off when Easton begins crying in the living room.

Shay and I both step into the living room not knowing how Lane will handle it while he is bottling up his own emotions, but much to our surprise he is already on the ground picking him up.

"I know buddy." He strokes his back as he cries. "Everyone is sad today." He says softly as he rocks him.

His words break my heart, I hardly ever see Lane sad, but this, this could really break him.

Shay steps into the room and walks over to them. "Do you want me to take him?" She questions

Excepting Lane to snap, I screw my face up, but again he surprises me. "No sweetheart, he's fine." He kisses her head and takes Easton back to the couch with him. He places him down on mom's lap and she snuggles him close.

I entered the kitchen and get back to helping Zay.

No one eats a real not, and I personally I am not hungry at all but I eat for our daughter anyway.

"I spoke to your uncle Alex and he says the funeral has been planned for two days' time so if we'd like to leave tomorrow we can, no matter what Grandad says." He tells Lane and I

"I'd like to go tomorrow." I nod

"We'll close the stop and we'll leave tomorrow." Mom nods.

"It's settled, we'll all leave tomorrow, as a family." Dad nods his head.