Chapter 1 - Charlie

School, I hate it and I can't wait until it's over. Thank God today is the last day before holidays or I think I'd go insane. The only thing that gets me through each day are my best friends Shay (who also happens to be my older brother Lane's girlfriend), Ellie, and Mazie who is Ellie's girlfriend.

"Hey Beautiful." Tyler wraps his arms around me and pushes me back into my locker, leaning in close as he begins kissing me.

Did I forget to mention Tyler? Tyler Bradley is my boyfriend and has been for the last year. Things were great at first, he was loving and kind but these last couple of months things have really started to change between us.

Tyler is the son of the head police officer in Springs, his father and my father Chet have a friendship of kinds, or agreement of sorts in place to keep everything running smoothly in the town. That's how I know Tyler, we grew up together and my parents are very supportive of our relationship, I just wish I was as supportive.

"Hi." I give him a fake smile and move black slightly.

"What's wrong with you today?" He asks with a frown.

"N-Nothing." I whisper not wanting to make him angry.

"Is this about last night?" He questions as he grabs my face and forces me to look at him. "Because if it is, I told you how sorry I am. I'll never lay a hand on you again."

"You said that the time before last as well Tyler." I sigh and look back down at my feet.

He slams his hand down on the locker next to my head causing me to jump. "See Charlie this is what you do, you say things to make me mad and then you wonder why I lose my cool with you."

"I-I'm sorry." I whisper, my body beginning the shake.

He turns his head to the side for a moment and suddenly he presses his lips to mine, kissing me sweetly.

"Aw, you guys are so cute." Ellie gushes looking up at us.

"I'm a lucky man." Tyler smiles at the girls, then turns his attention back to me. "I'll see you after class." He walks off down the hall.

"For real if I wasn't gay, I'd so be stealing Tyler from you." Ellie laughs.

"Eh, there is something about him I really don't like." Shay shrugs her shoulders "No offence Charlie."

"None taken." I almost whisper. "I- uh, I have to go." I mumble and begin walking down the hallway quickly.

My parents and my friends have no idea about the way Tyler has been treating me behind closed doors these last couple of months. In public Tyler is loving and attentive, he tells everyone how beautiful I am and how lucky he is to have me. But when it's just the two of us, that's when he changes, he's controlling and cruel and abusive.

Last night he put his hands on me again, this is the third time it's happened now in as many weeks but he tells me he's sorry and it won't happen again. I know that I need to leave him, I know that I need to tell someone what's happening but deep down I'm afraid no one will believe me. He acts so kind to me in public and after all he is the son of a police officer, would anyone believe me?

Feeling the tears stream down my face I exit the school grounds and begin walking. I don't have any idea where I'm going, all I know is I need to clear my head and think about how I'm going to handle this. Sometimes I wish I could be more like my mother. My mother is strong and full of attitude, she'd never let a man put his hands on her like I have been allowing Tyler. My parents taught me better than this, they taught me to be strong, they taught me how people should treat me and that I shouldn't stand for anything less, so why am I so weak?