Chapter 45

"I'm back!" Fitz called from the doorway, and Sophie smiled. At last! She had been craving Mallowmelt for the longest of time!! She thought about running up to the door and giving Fitz a tackle-hug but once again she was reminded of her ever-growing baby. She settled for sitting down on the couch, and waiting for Fitz to pop around the corner. Once he did, Sophie saw how many custard bursts Edaline had made. Sophie silently thanked her, for probably Edaline knew how much she craved them. She looked over to the three other containers the gnomes with Fitz were carrying, and she smiled even bigger. Della seemed to understand as well. Sophie snatched the desserts from him and raced away into the kitchen. 

Smack! Slop! Smack! Sophie licked the custard burst juice off her hands. She looked at the desserts again, satisfied with how much of them she had consumed. She patted her belly. "this should last you a while." She said out loud, then she went looking for Fitz. 

 Where was he? Sophie had looked all around the house but she couldn't find him anywhere. Her chest started heaving in panic. She took a few deep breaths to calm herself. Her emotions were going through the roof this week and she had an even harder time containing them. 

"Fitz!" She called, realizing she hadn't even tried calling for him. She waited. And waited. After a loud clang he answered, "Yeah? What do you need?" Sophie heaved a breath in relief. Phew. She thought. But once again she reminded herself how silly she was acting. When was this baby going to come? She silently pleaded for it to be soon and then she was hit with a wave of fear. What if something goes wrong? Why is this baby late? Wait-- is it even late? Why am I forgetting everything?!! She took in another few deep breaths but her heart wouldn't start pounding. All of a sudden, she felt a warm trickle of liquid down her leg. She didn't even bother taking any deep breaths any more. She was having this baby. Now. She rose her voice in despair. "Fitz!"