Chapter 34

Sophie froze. 

Fitz kept his hand on her back

Sophie couldn't even think. Couldn't breathe. She forced her lips to move. "Why? How does Elwin know?" Fitz smiled nervously. "Um, you know the quick-lick-open lock on the door to our house?" Sophie didn't answer, but she squeezed his hand which seemed to be answer enough. "Well, all quick-lick-open locks have an alarm if they sense someone is .. well ..." Sophie cut him off "Just keep going..." He tightened his hold on her hand and nodded quickly. "And Elwin had an alarm on your's for some reason, so now you're..." he gestured in her general direction. "So.." Sophie was still struggling to make her mouth move. She had never thought about children before, and obviously Fitz hadn't either. She didn't know if she was ready, but ... how could she back down now?" Fitz turned, and smiled nervously at her. "I never thought this would happen .. so soon." Sophie looked at her feet, realizing that her toes were all scrunched up and tight. It took several deep breaths to calm herself, and for her toes to relax. After what had to be hours at least, she finally asked: "Are you ready for this?" She paused. "Ready to be a father?" He still sat slumped, probably trying to figure out how this was all going to go down. Once he had processed her words, he straightened, almost touching the roof. "Um.. what does that mean?" Sophie asked, trying to figure out why he was so happy now. They were still stuck with this impossible situation, and Sophie didn't  feel any better about how she said 'father'. Wait ... she thought, he wants to be a father! She thought some more. Am I ready to be a mother? She didn't have time to sit there and decide, because Fitz was already on his feet. "I think we can make this work. I mean, this had to have happened for some reason. It's not like we can't get prepared - we have this giant house and the whole third floor is guest rooms. We can just cut that floor in half and give it to our ... child." Sophie straightened too. "I hate to say this Fitz, but I think this could actually work!"