Chapter 65

Sophie took the paper, her hands shaking. She could do this! 

She studied the first code and looked for it on the first page. Nothing. Second page. Nothing. Third page. There it was.

Strikopath 

Sophie read it again. Strikeopath? What in the name of Elvin was a Strikeopath? She would have to look into it. 

The next one was super complicated, she messed up a few times, mistaking that she was a pyrokinetic. She wasn't, thank goodness. She finally found the right code.

Shiftopath

Shiftopath? Was that a thing? What were all these abilities? Elwin rushing back into the room interrupted her thoughts. "So?" He asked, cracking his knuckles in worry. "Everything ... cool?"

Sophie looked down. "Yeah, not quite. Dean is a pyrokinetic, telepath and a Psionipath. And Addy is a hydrokinetic, telepath and Empath." Sophie explained. 

Elwin forced his hands to his sides. "And ... you?" He asked, breaking eye contact after he had asked the question, and instead looked at Fitz, which was a huge mistake. 

Sophie sighed. It's not like she could hide it from the world forever. She realized she had many visits to make. Alden, Mr. Forkle, the Council, Her friends, and its not like she could hide it from Grady and Edaline, either.

She realized Elwin was still awaiting an answer. "Um ...  a Strikopath and a Shiftopath. Do you have any idea what those abilities mean?" She asked, her curiosity rising again. But Elwin had frozen, not moving. "Elwin?" She assumed that wasn't good news. 

"um .. I'm sorry. Did you say Shiftopath?" He asked, clearly terrified about something. "Y-yeah. Why?" Sophie asked, and Elwin half-choked. "There has only been one of those in the whole world. Ever. Her name is Eve." He said, the wrinkles on his forehead scrunching more. 

Sophie started shaking uncontrollably, and after that she didn't remember anything. Her brain started doing circles, and she couldn't breathe. It was like she was twirling around and around and she didn't know how to stop. Of course her. Of course she had to be one of the two people in the world that had that ability. 

Sophie suddenly saw the light again, clinging onto it and letting it pull her back into reality. Her curiosity still burned, even though most of the answers she had gotten were bad news. "So, what is the ability?" She asked, hating herself for asking the question.

Elwin looked genuinely surprised. "You haven't guessed? Sophie, you're a Shapeshifter."