90

Marcus

"Good morning," mum said, rubbing my shoulder, "why didn't you get up like dad said? Ay?"

I hummed and pulled the cover over my head, rubbing my eyes tiredly. Having to wake up early to go somewhere I didn't want to be sucked.

Plus, I hated facing my family in the morning. I felt like an intruder- still. They always said goodmorning, and made me breakfast when they could, and I thought it was because they felt like they had to.

"Are you feeling okay?"

I could lie, but I knew she felt like shit and was still going to work.

"Yeah,"

"I'm gonna make you some eggs, can you get dressed and come down?"

"Yeah,"

I heard the door click shut and sighed, rolling to get out of bed. What I didn't want to do was disappoint mum, because I had grown really close to her and I wanted to keep it that way.

My school bag wasn't packed so I quickly did that, then headed downstairs.

"Goodmorning," Ava said, "I like your top,"

"Thankyou,"

"Do you like my dress?"

"I do,"

Dad smiled at me and pulled me into a hug, rubbing my back.

"Mum and you are setting off in about half an hour. Ava, brush your teeth before Sam arrives,"

I didn't mind going to school with mum or dad, because it calmed me down a little. People expected school to be something I hated and didnt care about judging my past, but it actually made me anxious and struggle to focus.

I tried my best, and failed. I hadn't had good grades for years, and lied so casually that I gave myself excuses to not work.

"Here you go. You don't mind me taking you right?"

"No, thankyou,"

"If we leave a little early, we could stop off and get you some cookies to share with your friends,"

I shrugged and looked down, dad patting my back.

"If you want to walk to the gym afterschool I can pick you up at about quarter to five,"

"I can?"

"I have a good feeling it lets you get your emotions out. On Saturday, do you want me to perhaps come in and see Kian with you for a bit? Or mum can. He's quite young, and Ava asked Lucy about him so you could speak to her,"

"Can mum come in with me?"

"Of course," she smiled, taking my hand, "it can be scary, I get it,"

Ava came back downstairs in one of dad's jackets, giggling when he scoffed.

"It looks better on you," I laughed, "shall I start wearing yours?"

"No!"

"Let's get going,"

"I'm going to a club at lunchtime, dad. Owen and I are going to a creative writing club,"

"When did you decide that?"

"Last night,"

"When you were supposed to be sleeping?"

"I think that's amazing," mum encouraged, "just don't do that again,"

Ava made me laugh a lot. I loved how excited she got over little things, and how she had no sense of things that she probably shouldn't have said. If that was me, I would've said yesterday at school.