30

Ava

Lauren and I had done a lot during the day, and I was tired. We played games, watched films, and made cookies which made grandma super happy.

I wanted to make my family happy, and proud. Perhaps they hadn't literally looked after me forever, but forever began at the start of life.

And I don't believe my life truly started until I met dad snd his family.

I had made a huge fuss in my head about my "real" family, my blood family, but genetics didn't matter. Family was whoever you surrounded yourself with that loved you, and helped you grow.

Dad had given me that advice and I never forgot, because that was how he saw his close friends.

"Ava, do you want to take some home for the three of you?" Grandma asked, putting three cookies in a bag.

"Yes please. Is dad here?"

"He's just outside. If you come round tomorrow morning then I will take you with Harry to Elise's house,"

"Thankyou, I'll see you tomorrow,"

Although I was tired, I was in a good mood. I love spending time with Lauren, and it didn't happen often.

It was like having a big sister- I guessed since I didn't have siblings- but I couldn't really say that so I opted for best friend. Whatever it was, she always made me feel good about myself and filled me with positivity. She was always laughing, and smiling, and listening.

With a bounce in my step, I got walked down to dad's car, climbing into the back.

"Hey poppet, did you have a good day?" dad asked, Viola taking the biscuits so I could strap myself in.

"It was really fun,"

"Good. We are having curry for tea, but Viola is going to make it while I talk to you,"

"Am I in trouble?" I panicked. Viola was always welcomed to our discussions, so I didn't get why she wasn't this time.

Plus, my room was really messy and it hadn't cleared my plate up last night

"No, I just have a bit of news, and it might be a lot to take in. Everyone is okay, and nothing is wrong,"

I leant back and looked out the window, feeling my stomach twisting. What could be a lot to take in?

My mind jumped to something like needing a test at the doctors, or the holiday being cancelled, or Lucy not seeing me anymore.

"Dad, I'm scared,"

"It's nothing to worry about, I just want to explain it to you,"

When we got home, dad took me to the bedroom, and I sat on my bed. My heart was pounding, and my hands were shaking.

He was sat opposite me, but I didn't like that so I sat beside him. However, he moved me again and rubbed my shoulder, gently shushing me.

"I am scared, dad,"

"Ava, poppet, it's okay, I just want to see your face,"

"What is this about?"

"I looked into your parents last night.,"

"Okay," I said, taking a deep breath, "this is just a lot, because I don't know them,"

Although I'd asked about my parents, I didn't know if I was actually ready. Ashton was my dad, and what if my other dad was good too? How could that work?

"I know, but you deserve to know poppet,"

"Okay,"

"Your mum was from a country called the Dominican Republic, and you dad was from a country called England. Both of them met and moved over here,"