His face twisted up and he leaned back in his chair. I noticed the handcuffs around his wrist had caused a distinctive red mark and some bruising.

I didn't like how happy it had made me feel to see he's in pain.

He looked across the room and nodded the realization crossing his face, "So that sweetheart of yours told you all about the deal."

"First," I growled, "Do not refer to her as a sweetheart or even refer to her at all," I had to put my hands on my lap to stop myself from shaking with anger. "Second, I know all about the deal. The deal you made to kill  my mom."

He slowly looked back at me. He stared at me, unblinking, unmoving against my onslaught. His eyes caught me off guard. The way they filled with nothing at the mention of my mom's death. He truly had no remorse for his actions and that was dangerous.

I thanked the god that he was behind bars.

"Business is business boy, you get the cheque and you don't ask questions."

"So killing my mom was just a transaction for you?" My face went rigid, my jaw clamped tight, and I spoke through grinding teeth. If it wasn't for the guard outside I would have strangled him and gladly do time for it.

I'd never felt this rage before in my life.

He shrugged his shoulders, "I ain't gonna lie to you. It was. Paid some debts back as well with it. I was paid a hefty sum for your mom,"

"I will kill you," I snarled. The ice-cold intensity of my words crowding the small room.

He grinned showing yellowed teeth amongst his beard, his eyes wide and unblinking. "Get in line son. You ain't the first to make that threat and you sure as hell won't be the last."

"I'll be the only one who pulls through."

"I'll be waiting for it." He smiled almost as if he were impressed with me. I didn't need his seal of approval, he meant nothing to me.

We sat knee-deep in silence. A leak in the corner of the room dripping onto the floor, each drop reverberating across the room like a cymbal. The grip around my heart squeezed tighter, I felt sick and today's events had taken its toll. I rubbed at my jaw and let out a breath.

"Why would you do it?" I asked breaking the silence and I was surprised by how small my voice had sounded.

It had surprised him too because he paused, his mouth opening and closing. I didn't think he was the type of guy to be lost for words.

"I needed the money. Plain and simple. She wasn't my family, I didn't know her and I didn't lose sleep over it either. I did what I had to do to survive kid, which you'd have no idea about with your fancy watch, uncrinkled clothes, and expensive shoes. You think you know hardship? Take a leaf out of my book son. You probably have everything given to you on a platter, try being dealt the scraps," He snorted and spat into the bin beside him, "You don't know shit about shit, at least I've come and taught you about the real world."

"Are you that self-entitled that you think you've taught me some kind of fucked up lesson by murdering my mom?" I couldn't believe it. I blinked and I blinked again. Fury burned at my cheeks and I had to take a moment to stop myself from cursing to the high heavens. The man was a narcissistic sociopath.

He shrugged his shoulders in indifference, "Call it a lesson if you want son but I've taught you monsters don't just hide under the bed,"

"No, they just take blood money and brag about it,"

"That wasn't my finest moment," He scratched at his wispy grey beard, "I always blab on whiskey, should have kept to the white spirits,"

"Maybe you should have just drunk yourself to death,"

"Maybe I should have," He muttered to himself and then looked up so our eyes met, something sparked in his eyes and he looked towards the door, "Where's your girlfriend at? I liked her, she was pretty,"

A sharp pressure filled my chest at the mention of her and I felt my body harden.

I didn't care what he said about me but when he mentioned her I couldn't control myself.

"She is as far away from you as possible and I wasn't joking when I said not to refer to her again, I'll tighten those handcuffs around your fucking neck," I spoke with a coldness I'd never heard before. Whether I liked it or not was another question for another day.

"Ooo don't get your panties in a twist," He mocked, running a bony-hand through his thinning hair, "I won't mention your girly again, don't want you to pop a vein,"

I clenched and unclenched my fist in my lap, imaging how satisfying it would be to wipe that smug look off his face. I had to remind myself that I wasn't here for a fight for the hundredth time.

"That's a big shiner you got there. I see you ain't the only one swinging punches." His attempt at trying to change the subject did not go unnoticed but I was tired, exhausted. It had been a long day and I can imagine it wasn't about to end anytime soon.

I touched a hand to my face and twisted my head to the side, almost ashamed. "My dad has got a mean hook,"

He whistled through his teeth, "Your dad did that? No wonder you got so much, anger boy. What'd you do to make daddy all hot and bothered?"

"I told him the truth and he didn't like it," I said under my breath and shifted awkwardly in my seat. It wasn't the first time my dad had laid a hand on me and probably wouldn't be the last.

"And what's that?"

"That he paid you to kill my mom."

There was silence. He watched me, closely, his beady eyes flickering around my face trying to work something out, what that was - I wasn't too sure.

"Your dad paid for me?"

"Yes, and you know it too so don't try to deny it."

He shook his head and whistled, "Oh boy, you've got it all wrong."

I scrunched my face up in confusion, "And why's that?"

"Us men," He pointed towards his chest, "We do it ourselves, we don't get someone else to do our dirty work," He let out a twisted laugh," No, no, no. Your daddy didn't pay me, this was a woman's job son."

Sorry for the delay in the update! This period is super super busy for me and I really don't get time to just sit down and write! I hope this chapter makes up for the wait! Not long left till this book is finished *cries* I can't believe how far it has come!

I have nearly 1mil views D:

I remember when this had barely a hundred views and I had to fight to get the motivation to write! So thank you so much guys for your reads and support it honestly means the world!

Don't forget to comment below your thoughts!

Lots of love,

D xx