Chapter 13

Avalon

"Can we get on that ride?" I say, pointing eagerly at the rollercoaster called Mouse Trap. I drag Daniel with me, not waiting for his response. He chuckles and willingly lets me drag him.

Today has been a wonderful day. We spent all day hanging around the carnival and enjoying our time together. Everyone has been so generous and kind. I got to meet so many people from different packs and I got the opportunity to know more people from Daniel's royal pack.

It's still insane that I came faking my death, to finding out that the man who raised me was never who I thought it was and then now. It's just strange. To this day, I still ask myself why someone would fake my death and literally kidnap me but do nothing with me.

"Two people," Daniel says to the ride operator, interrupting my thoughts. He looks down at me and shoots me a small smile. I send him one back and glance over to the glowing lights coming from the extravagant ride. The lights glisten against my eyes and I look away, not wanting to go blind from too much exposure of light.

I look down on my watch and it was currently 8:50 pm. We spent over 7 hours here and I'm surprised that I'm not worn out. I look up at Daniel. Now I feel bad. He might be tired or exhausted after me constantly dragging him around.

"You ready?" he asks, reaching for my hand. I grin and reach for his hand. We both hurry up the stairs. I point to the first row and he nods. I enter first and he follows, taking a seat next to me. I squeal with excitement and wait for the safety restraints to come down. Daniel pulls the restraints down.

Another ride operator comes and checks everyone's restraints, making sure they're secure and ready to go. He gives a thumbs up to his partner who was the one Daniel handed the tickets to and jumps off the ledge instead of going down the stairs.

The ride starts and slowly makes its way to the first acceleration. I grip onto the restrains on my shoulder and close my eyes. I feel the ride shifting up as we begin making our way to the top of the rollercoaster.

"Open your eyes," Daniel urges. My right eye peeks open and we were all the way at the top. We were so high up, I felt weightless. The ride goes down and a scream erupts from the back of my throat. My head was spinning and my stomach felt like it was making weird shapes. I never gripped on so tight for my life.

The next 2 minutes were insanely lopsided. We come to a halt with a loud screech and that's when I open my eyes. The ride slowly approaches the wooden ledge again. I wait for the restraints to come up.

"Wasn't that fun?" Daniels says, offering a hand to me as we get off the ride. I shake my head and take his hand. We walk down the stairs and wonder towards more attractions.

"I di—"

An arrow passes me, hitting a nearby tree. The tree melts awfully. My eyes grow wide and so many emotions build up. What the actual fuck was that?

"Dani—"

Daniel turns to me quickly and locks eyes with me. "Listen to me very closely, Avalon. I do not want you to stray away from me. You're going to hold on to my hand and I'm going to safely get you away from here."

Speechless. I didn't know what else to say. So, I follow his words and hold on tightly to his hand.

Another arrow passes my face, landing onto the ground. The poison-laced on the blade of the arrow kills the living grass surrounding it, creating a black circle.

"We're under attack!" Daniel shouts, running while gripping tightly on my hand. The royal guards approach the scene and immediately shift.

"Wait!" Daniel says, stopping his men, "the arrows are poisoned." All of a sudden, I saw about twenty wolves step back from ten wolves who stayed put. What is going on?