15

Lying on my back and staring at the ceiling doesn't seem like the best way to spend my free time. so I get up and head downstairs to the kitchen as soon as the sun rises.

Just as the water begins to boil, Liam pops into the kitchen, fully dressed and unbearably chipper. "Someone awake before me? What a surprise!" I'm still pretty depressed... not to mention disoriented from lack of sleep... but I manage a small smile.

Summoned by the coffee, Zayn bustles into the kitchen as well and begins whipping up breakfast. Whistling while he cooks, Zayn shoots us a wink. "You should toss a shot of whiskey in these in honor of Lo today."

My stomach sinks, though I try to keep a level face. If everyone else is going to pretend things are fine, then I guess I will too. "I wasn't aware we had anything to celebrate." I say.

Zayn laughs as he flips the omelet in the skillet. "Celebrate? Nah. Commiserate. She was up all night in the gambling room, drinking me under the table." He yawns hugely as I try not to stare.

"She got you too, huh?" a pale hand reached past me, nearly making me shed my skin in fright. Silent as a ghost, Shawn helps himself to another cup of coffee.

"Ah, Shawn. Just the man I wanted to see." Moving towards Shawn, Liam claps him on the shoulder. "I need your eyes later today. We have some security footage to go over."

Shawn's gaze sharpens on him. "Did someone try to break into the mansion?"

"No, no. This is for..." Liam pauses, suddenly looking at me. "... Something else."

Lifting my eyebrows, I press my lips together. "I'm not sure I even want to know."

"We'll give you a summary later. Maybe."

"You didn't find my parents, did you?" Liam shakes his head.

The three of them begin chatting over breakfast, but I tune out almost at once. So Lauren stayed here the whole night. I guess she didn't feel like company.

An idea strikes me. "I'll be right back." Pouring another cup, I head over to the gambling room.

"Lauren. Still awake?" A low groan answers me, so I push the door open all the way and head inside. Lauren is sprawled out on the couch, eyes clenched tightly shut and one arm thrown over her forehead. "I brought coffee. There's breakfast in the kitchen, too, if you want any."

Joint by joint, Lauren slowly sits up, cradling her head in her palms. She shakes her head and then winces at the movement. "Don't want you here. I'm a mess." Her words are muffled by her palms. "Leave the coffee."

I'm not sure what I expected, after last night. Lauren's gruff, haggard appearance can't make me forget what I've seen. She's confided in me before. What's different this time? Does she really blame me for this loss... after everything? I don't believe it. And if I just press her a little more...

All night I'd carried a tight coil of panic, wound tightly in my chest. When I close the door to the gambling room, it feels ready to choke me alive.

--

Lauren avoids me for the rest of the day. Without the Ruby Heart looming over me, I'm left feeling stranded. I consider checking out what the area around us looks like, outside the mansion gates, but it's so secluded there's almost nothing around except our house.

"...Lauren's house. Not mine." I sigh in frustration, pausing to rub my forehead with the heel of my palm. "If she was just using me, why bother with all the pretense of liking my company?" And while Lauren doesn't seem angry anymore, I doubt things will ever return to how they were before.