39

When the time comes, Lauren lets Chris drive us. We sit in the back of his car, and she takes my hand in hers. I've come to learn Lauren's tells. It comes from living with her, being around her every day. All the quirks and twitches.

Lauren squeezes my hand tightly, careful not to dig her nails in too hard. She must be so nervous. "You know you don't actually have to go to Cuba if you lose, right?" I tell her calmly. Sardonic, she gives me a single flat look. "It's true. Austin just said that to get a rise out of you."

"My word's not always worth much, but I can't let it get out that I weaseled out of a poker deal."

The private casino is hauntingly empty. We pas by gilded corners and polished chrome. Everything is sparkling with potential, seductively inviting any passing person to play and lose millions.

"Wish I was allowed to deal." I say softly.

Lauren shakes her head, brown hair tumbling over her shoulders. "I know you'd try to help me."

"Well duh. I love you."

Our conversation comes to a halt when we enter the inner room. Austin brought only a few of his people along as a security measure. When Lauren enters the room he hones in on her, catching her eye and grinning. She stares back at him, stony-eyed, but he doesn't seem phased by it. "Are we ready to play?"

"Only if you're ready to lose."

Austin laughs, one hand over his chest. Just before Lauren moves to sit across from him, I grab her. "Look at me." She does, all the hard lines on her face dropping. Completely open, she regards me with love shining out of her eyes full of trust. "You're a champion. This is just another game, your favorite game. The one you always win."

"Except when I play against you."

"So that'll be no exception to that rule. Come here." Reaching up, I surprise myself with how hard I kiss Lauren. Coiling both fists into her hair, I mold my body against hers. Her nails press down the thick black fabric of my new suit, carving outlines of desire right through me.

"I love you." Lauren pulls back with a short gasp, eyes heavy-lidded.

"I love you too. Go win me a necklace." Pleased, Lauren laughs and slowly releases me. Her hands linger, our fingertips brushing against each other before she goes to the table.

The dealer is a neutral third party, hired to keep an eye on both of them. As always with these games, cheating isn't strictly against the rules. Just as long as you don't get caught.

"This really takes me back." Spreading out his cards, Austin turns out to be a conservative player.

Lauren tends to have trouble with those. It's been a while since I've seen Lauren in her element. So often she isn't allowed to play at full potential, shackled and banned from her past transgressions. "Refresh my memory. Was this before or after you dumped me out on the street?" it's like a switch has been flipped. Lauren falls easily into the persona I'd first met.

Carelessly confident and occasionally cruel, she needles Austin mercilessly throughout the match. The tension in the air is cooking.

Standing rigid, I cross my arms and keep an eye over the game. I can't help but memorize every detail. This quirk of mine has its upsides for sure. It helps that I have Lauren to help me filter out what's not important. Watching her play, I'm reminded of how much I love her. I want to make her proud of me... her and the gang both. "You got this!"

Shawn chimes in. "You can do it, Lo!"

Zayn puts a hand on my shoulder, shaking me out of my own thoughts. "Yeah! Get us the necklace!"